Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 300D-T
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd problem that only occurs occaisionally in my 83 300D. At times if I leave the key in position 2 for more than a few seconds after the glow plug light goes out and the buzzer stops, the key won't turn to position 3 to start the car. If I then go back and start over and turn to postion 3 right after the light goes out, no problem. The previous owner had an extra push button installed to manually run the glowplugs, but I'd rather find out why the problem is there to begin with. Is it just a worn ignition switch or indicative of something more involved to fix? I thought you could wait up to 45 seconds after the light goes off to start the car.

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Ahh, the famous igniton switch bypass...

I have never tried bypassing the ignition switch on a diesel, but I currently have two cars that have a push button type start, great for bypassing a worn ignition switch, to allow you to start the car, my guess is that if that glow plug button is there, its there for a previous problem he had with the ignition

·
Registered
83 300D-T
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure it's there because he thought there was a LARGE problem, but I'm wondering if it ...

I'm sure it's there because he thought there was a LARGE problem, but I'm wondering if it is just the switch or if there might be a relay problem instead. How do I determine which it might be?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.