Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E220CDI/2011 E200 Coupe/2010 C200 CDI
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

my wife's 160 CDI 2001 model will not start. A start error message comes up on the display unit. Has anyone got any ideas on what the problem could be? We have tried both keys and nothing happens.

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
Emman this message normally appears when the wrong key blade is used, many owners have fallen foul of e-bay sellers who claim the keys will work they won't because the transponder pea in the key does not match the immobiliser.

However this is obviously not the problem in your case.
Two things you can do , re-synchonise the keys with the immobiliser, the procedure is in your hand book and on my site ,
two a little more difficult, disconnect the battery for a short period (30mins or so ) and then re-connect using the correct procedures, turn you lights to at least side lights to reduce the spike of power hitting the ECU, you will need to re-set your windows and esp/abs which is easy to do .
That may well work, it has in the past in that it allows the ECU to re-set not unlike re-booting your PC when you have problems.
Hope that helps.
Lofty
Please post feed back either way .
http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.1.htm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lofty,

I have tried the battery disconnection and synchronizing the keys but still no luck. A couple of friends are telling me it could be the ECU , do you have any other thoughts on this?

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
I do not think it is the ECU, I think it's something to do with the keys and or immobiliser I have never heard of the ECU producing the error however faults on the ECU to my knowledge have been few, it's the MAFS portion on the combined unit that gives problem's

If you get a diagnostics done and it does confirm the ECU portion is at fault then 'ECU testing' can repair the ECU. they can also supply a new unit coded to your car , so don't get conned by MB for a new unit at £1400 ECUtestings 's price is £350 IF your unit is not repairable.
BBA Reman do NOT repair that portion of the combined unit.

One thing that is worth checking, surrounding the ignition key location is a transponder ring, this should have a black wire attached to it, it's that that sends the message to the immobiliser when the correct key is used I.e a matched transponder pea in the fob casing, if for some reason the wire has become detached the car will not allow you to start it .
See my page 6 for details.

Bert Rowe's-A-class info. Hazard warning, car keys, re-synchonising remote keys, Central locking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Lofty,

These are the codes from the diagnosis of my wife's car, do you have any idea what the problem could be?

RFL B1101 FAULT CODE
SECURE SN2 CONTROL CABLE
PSE/CL.CF.ATA OPEN CIRCUIT

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
Sorry I have no idea, there is a programe attached to the hand held diagnostics tool on my site or you could try the net for defect codes but they don't look like MB codes to me?
the security cable could well be the transponder ring cable I mentioned. did you check it?

·
Registered
A 170 CDI
1 Posts
Hi Lofty,

These are the codes from the diagnosis of my wife's car, do you have any idea what the problem could be?

RFL B1101 FAULT CODE
SECURE SN2 CONTROL CABLE
PSE/CL.CF.ATA OPEN CIRCUIT
Hi emman
Did you solved the problem with your wife's car? Can you send an update?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts