Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Prelude
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening -
I have a 1982 380SL that has been a lot of fun to drive; however, it has a starting problem. When the car is cold (like in the mornings, etc), the car starts just as it should. After it sits for about 10-15 minutes after getting the car to normal operating temperature, it turns over for about 10 seconds for it to finally start back up. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before? If anyone has any advice on its diagnosis, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
For what it's worth.

Same car, same year, 69k miles. For a warm start I pump the gas a couple of times and hold it down when I turn the ignition. I have no idea if there is any logic to that, but it only takes a couple of seconds to start after that.

·
Registered
Honda Prelude
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the response! I'll have to try that. I have tried to pump it after turn...

Thanks a lot for the response! I'll have to try that. I have tried to pump it after turning the ignition, but I'll try it your way. Thanks again.

·
Registered
380 SL - 1982
25 Posts
Warm Start Issue

Has anyone a firm fix for the warm start problem. My 82 380SL began to experience the problem recently. It starts fine when cold, but is slow to start when warm, and when it starts it idles rough for 15 seconds or so as though it was flooded. Have done a search and it seems most feel a variety of things have caused the problem. I have noticed what sounds like a fuel pump hum which may have began about the time the warm start problem developed, but can't be sure. I hate to start replacing very expensive parts unless I know they are bad. Your experience?

Don

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,015 Posts
If not the accumulator, then the brass injectors...sometimes they don't hold fuel and drip fuel into your combustion chambers, hence "semi-flooding" the car which is why it takes awhile to start. About $20 each, get new insulators and seals while at it! Autohausaz.com has them for a good price. Cured my hard start problem when the accumulator was not at fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I know we've seen this a few times before. I have a 97 E420 that has problems (had starting once the engine was warm. FIXED!!!. Aparrently there was a crack in the Charcoal cannister by the Fuel tank & the fuel shutoff valve was malfunctioning. Replaced all including the Fuel Tank Cap and no more starting problems.... $790.00 later at the dealership that is.

Hope this helps anyone who has the same problem.

Also had a small leak in the A/C Evaporator and the freon would last only 3-4 weeks. MB wanted $3500.00 to fix. Had a friend put in some leak stop (Superleak Stop $29.00), 2 Lbs of freon ($28.00), and some UV dye ($6.00) and so far so good. Do the math.

Peace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts