Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems lots of people are having the issue of it being either the starter or CPS that wont make their car start .. as well as me I've been looking around on the forums It's been helping a little but about a month ago my battery died and I charged which created this build-up of corrosion on the bottom of my terminals which I cleaned and put WD-40 on them I was told this issue could persist. I look at it today and it's coming back

This could be my issue how can I make it so that stuff stays away new terminals ??

Other than that I might replace the starter after that along with a few relays :D Hope all will go well anyone have an experience about a DIY starter replacement ???

Also I was wondering is there any certain things I should make sure of before replacing it... besides unhooking the battery and what not ??

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Disconnect the battery and work safely, that's about it. I'm assuming you're working on a C class, too, since you didn't mention it. Make sure you have it properly in position as you tighten it and go back and forth between the bolts to keep it aligned. If you're not terribly strong it may help to have something to rest it on while you connect the wires and to keep it from falling and ripping them loose. A cinder block works nicely, depending on how far you raise the car. Jackstands are a must, too. (That 'work safely' thing.)

BTW, please update your profile (click user cp) to add your vehicle and location, it's helpful information.

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thx for the response Gregs ... Yea it's a 96' C280 sport sorry about that.... I thought I filled that out but I will check and make sure def. would be useful :p

I just revised my post but I'm pretty sure it's my starter :/ the owner who had the car before me did a lot of things to the car like head gasket, radiator, hoses, water pump... I'm not to sure about the starter though ... I'm glad for the Head gasket I am holding 170 K when I got the car it was at 166 K So I'm assuming it should be ok haha

What can I use to keep away that corrosion showing up on my battery ??

Thx again :D

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I'm back and I have a few pictures below ... The first two is a hose coming down... looking up from under my engine going to right under my Alternator which you can see has a juice of oil flowing from it which is terrible :/ ... I want to know what that black box is under it ... also The hose clamped I attached which hose is that ???? And it's seems like the right thing to do !!! Any clues ??

Secondly I have cleaned my terminals for my battery and changed the negative side .. I rather not show you the corroded one I took off haha ... I also went to Autozone had my battery tested they said it was at 65 % life and had 12.75 V ... hence possibly could be the problem with starting my car

Any feedback is greatly appreciated I want my Benz to roll nice and I want to be able to trust it again :D I know you guys like pics and it makes it easier to understand me so please get back to this post !!! :)

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I know people are busy and what not ... can you at least tell me if the pictures are showing !!! I would like some help from the experts .. I know it may be simple but any advice is appreciated .... Por Favor !!!! ?????? !!!!

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
Well I know people are busy and what not ... can you at least tell me if the pictures are showing !!! I would like some help from the experts .. I know it may be simple but any advice is appreciated .... Por Favor !!!! ?????? !!!!
I'd like to help, bUt I'm not sure what you're asking. The pictures are showing up btw. I was having an issue last year where my c280 would not start. It would crank, but not start. After checking spark and fuel, I started Checking sensors. I took the CPS out and cleaned it (it had a thin film of oil looking substance on it). After I cleaned it, car started right up and has been fine ever since. The philosophy I usually follow (and usuallynturns out right) is look at the parts involved in the problem and it will usually be the cheapest part.

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the reply !!! Yes I know That is a great Idea .. sort of what I've been doing.. like checking the battery which has low voltage and life (that could be it right there) ! But changing the terminals and charging the battery was a cheap turnout and I haven't had the problem ... Getting a new battery is key !!

I need to check my CPS though I have read up on them and they seem to do that especially in major heat or cold .. right ???

The only thing I would really like to know is just What type of Vacuum hose is the in the picture that is stated and why would it leak oil ??? (that goes up into my alternator)

Also a decent way to clean your alternator rid of oil NOO water !!! lol :D .. WD-40 ??? :confused:

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any answeres as to why my secondary air pump vaccum hose is leaking oil !!!! ???

I would clean my alternator but I wan't to be sure I wont ruin it ... This is where someone types a few words !!! :D ????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts