Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2004 mercedes c230K coupe with 1.8L 4cyl engine. We changed the alternator on the car because his battery kept going dead and we finally had it tested and we were told it was bad. After completing the change we tried to crank the car and now it wont turn over all the way. When you turn the key, it tries to turn over but won't do a full rotation. I am trying to determine if this is the starter, the crankshaft position sensor, or another problem entirely. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to add a video but it seems you can only add a photo.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,855 Posts
This would not be the CPS. It does not prevent cranking, just firing because a lack of CPS signal shits off the fuel pump. I would check the battery voltage at rest (>= 12.5v) and during cranking (>= 11.0v)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At rest, it is at 12.2. When we turned the key it dropped to 8.6. I put jumper cables between my van and his car and the voltage at rest went to 13.2. When we tried to start it again, it tried to crank a little more. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Possibly a poor connection somewhere. Inspect the wiring to the starter, wiring from battery to alternator as well. Maybe something is not snugly fit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok.. I was told by someone to try and start it without the belt because he said the belt looked tight. I took the belt off and it started right up. All of the pulleys turned freely without the belt with the exception of the crankshaft pulley. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I was told by someone that this alternator won't turn right if it rotated 180 degrees. I guess when we put this in, we didn't pay attention to the way it came out. That would be the polish in me. The car is running great now. I don't have to light it on fire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts