Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally I got around to sorting my frikken starter motor
For the last six odd months Ive been putting up with tic tic tic instead of broom broom broom
I had already previously rebuilt the solenoid and was assuming the bushes were dead so was avoiding pulling the starter again like the plague
Yesterday it almost didnt start and with the holidays coming I finally gave in and pulled it out
If you are having the same problem dont put up with it, its such an easy fix

Step one : Pull the starter (If you cant pull the starter yourself without instruction dont DIY!) and for goodness sake remember to disconect the battery
Step two :pull the cap on the end of the motor its secured with two screws
once removed the C clip securing the main shaft just comes off and you can undo the two 7mm bolts holding the rear cap on
Step three : Slide of the cap and reveal the bushes
Step four : prise off the two coiled springs holding the two (of four total) bushes that retain the bush cradle to the motor
Step five : remove the cradle and clean all the contact surfaces
I lightly filed the faces of the bushes and lightly sanded the contact points with fine sandpaper on the motor for good measure
Step six : add a generous smear of electrical contact grease
Step seven : put it back together and enjoy your easy to start car again

If you are putting this off dont its easy and everything comes apart with no nasty surprises! :cool:

·
Registered
1990 420 sel 213,800 replaced water pump and radiator; the timing chain good
268 Posts
gotta love that german engineering, fixing the alternator is even easier, don't even have to remove the alternator.

So I'm thinking, is it possible to do this while the starter is still in place?

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its probably possable,like building a ship in a bottle LOL, but it would be more of a PITA than just pulling the starter
It would be super fun refitting the bush retaining springs!
Youd want it up on a hoist to do it in situ and when the car is up on a hoist and using an air ratchet removal of the starter is a total doddle , 5 minutes seriously

1 - 4 of 4 Posts