Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 W123 300d, 90 SL500
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big of a job is it to change the starter motor. Is there a definitive test to see if that is actually the trouble? When I turn the key nothing.....not even a sound, the battery is good although I had to re-charge it, headlights etc work fine and none of the fuses are blown. There was a smell of burnt wiring insulation when I tried to start so I quit trying right away, could this be the starter windings? When I was trying to start my wifey turned the key and I gently tapped the starter but nothing, akthough I noticed the pry bar sparking a bit when it grounded from the starter case onto the motor. This is one unbelievable car folks 600000km I want to keep it but not spend a fortune like I do with my 500SL when something goes wrong, although that too is a gorgous car.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300DT; 1980 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
780 Posts
Check your glow plugs, and your glow plug relay first, if they are both fine, try getting a small rubber mallet, and hitting the starter while (your wife?) tries to start the car, if you hear the starter trying to engage, then its it, or try jumping the starter, there is a small black box looking thing, a bit behind the coolant reservoir, if you have a cable with two alligator clips on it that'll work

I just changed my starter ( http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td-te-class/1361918-car-wont-start-battery-12-45-a.html ) and it took me a few hours (probably faster if I had someone helping me), the only time I ran into any difficulty was with removing the bolts, they are so tucked away next to the transmission, it takes some wiggling, and alot of patience, some even say you need wobble joints, but I just used ratchets and a 10mm HEX bit

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
Have you checked the Neutral Safety switch?

If you smelled burning insulation, it could be the starter solenoid. Do the jumper test like Torkq suggested.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Move the shifter into N and try to crank it. If that doesn't work then, turn the key to the starter position and move the shifter from P to L and see the starter tries to engage, if so replace the neutral safety switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts