Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 280GE
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I've recently noticed that there is a delay in the starter motor after i turn the key in the ignition. [:(]

previously, it used to start right away as soon as I turn the key (as normal). Now, when the car is cold in the mornings, it hesitates with no action for the first 3 seconds or so and then begins to start very weakly. Once the car has warmed up, I can start it up throughout the day without any problems whatsoever.

Is this something to do with my starter, or my immobiliser, or is my battery starting to go (although this is unlikely because everything seems to work fine)?

Any help is much appreciated. thanks guys! [:)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
GM3 - 4/4/2005 7:03 PM

Hi there.

I've recently noticed that there is a delay in the starter motor after i turn the key in the ignition. [:(]

previously, it used to start right away as soon as I turn the key (as normal). Now, when the car is cold in the mornings, it hesitates with no action for the first 3 seconds or so and then begins to start very weakly. Once the car has warmed up, I can start it up throughout the day without any problems whatsoever.

Is this something to do with my starter, or my immobiliser, or is my battery starting to go (although this is unlikely because everything seems to work fine)?

Any help is much appreciated. thanks guys! [:)]
The starter turning a cold engine is probably the hardest pull your battery has to make. That's where it will start to show its age first.

Can you hear the solenoid click to engage the gear right away, or does it wait the 3 seconds before it clicks to engage the starter gear?

·
Registered
1988 280GE
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey dutch,

i forgot to mention it in my post but no, the solenoid does not click at all. it just clicks the once 3 seconds later and the starter motor fires up weakly.

what do you think? battery? starter? immobiliser? thanks![;)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
GM3 - 4/4/2005 7:50 PM

hey dutch,

i forgot to mention it in my post but no, the solenoid does not click at all. it just clicks the once 3 seconds later and the starter motor fires up weakly.

what do you think? battery? starter? immobiliser? thanks![;)]
That M110 starter solenoid is infamous for collecting oil and grease from the rear main engine seal. That grease prevents good movement of the armature. A place to start would be to dismantle and clean it out. If it's shot, it's avaiable as a separate part. Some folks drill a small weep hole in the bottom side of the solenoid to let that grease and oil out.

However, if after the solenoid clicks, the engine still turns slowly, I'd take a look at all electrical connections - especially the ground cable to the engine - first. If these are all tight, look at the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts