Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 E320 4matic wagon stalls trying to move the transmission from park to either drive or reverse whenever the temps dip below about 40 degrees. This only happens when starting the vehicle for the first time, no stalling afterwards. The car will run fine, with no stalling if it is allowed to warm up 7-10 minutes. The car starts up just fine as long as it is in park, it is the moving out of park that causes it to stall. The nearest MB dealer had the E320 for a week and was able to duplicate the problem each morning. It was a tough problem to diagnose because they only had a very short window to duplicate the problem because once the car was warmed up, it doesn't stall. They checked for any code errors and there were none. Everything they checked on, appeared to be within spec. The transmission service was done 7K ago. The MB dealer reported that MB north america had reported that this problem has occurred a few times but none of the owners were willing to go through the expense of diagnosing and fixing the problem. The MB dealer is willing to continue exploring but it gets expensive. The MB dealer's assessment is that it's either some electronic component that is incorrectly assessing the temp reading upon start up (but they were unable to find any error or malfunctioning component) or there might be a problem with one of the transmission plates. They thought of raising the wheels off the ground to see if the car would stall when not under load. If there is anyone who has experienced this problem and found a solution, please send me a PM (or post a response). Thank you

·
Registered
Mercedes E320 1999
47 Posts
Im getting a similar issue .. when the outside temp is close to or below freezing; in summer theres no problem. when I start the car then hold the brake and put in to reverse or drive there is a drop in revs close to stalling but never actually stalling.

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
23 Posts
We had the same issue last year, couldn't figure it out - no codes and dealer couldn't find anything wrong. The fuel mileage and performance were also down. I replaced the filter, MAS, and CPS - still nothing. Then we had the infamous cat rattle. When I replaced the bad cat it immediately fixed the problem, it felt like a new car that wasn't being choked and had no problems in cold weather. I guess once the material in the cat reached a certain temp it let the car breath/exhaust properly. Unfortunately, we are now experiencing the problem again and with both back cat's replaced, it is the front cats that are the issue. I purchased model specific replacements on ebay, but my local welder says that they don't fit:crybaby2: . Ugh.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stalling during first starts on a cold day

Thanks to all for the replies. I'd still like to hear from others who have had the same problem. When/if we decide to take the 2000 E320 4matic back to the dealer and there is something new to report, I'll post the results on the forum. At this stage, we'll just allow the car to warm up 5-10 minutes. However if the stalling issue happens more than just during the first start up of the day on cold mornings or takes more than 10 minutes to warm up, we'll bring the MB back in for another effort to resolve the problem. According to the MB dealer, they could detect no problem with the catalytic converter. Thanks again for the replies. And good luck to others with the same problem.
Scott

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
23 Posts
Anyone else having the issue with the cold weather, shifting, and stalling?

Scott - Any updates on the source of the issue and the fix - we are still having to let the car warm up every morning - now that it is cold, it is getting old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

We spent $600 for the diagnosis and the MB dealer admitted that they could not identify the cause or a solution. No error codes and everything appeared to fall within spec. For now, I'm having to live with a car that requires a 10 minute warm-up every morning. Eventually, I'll probably take the MB to another repair facility, not an MB dealer and see what they can do. MB admitted that this problem has occurred with other ca. 2000 E320s but has been rare (as far as cars taken to MB dealers for this problem) and no owner has wanted to spend loads of $$$$ to explore all the possible causes for the problem. I'll post something when I have another update. I'd like to hear from others. One solution I'm considering is something that would act like an engine block heater that would warm up the engine. It's uncertain if this would avoid the cold stalling issue during the first start up on cold mornings.
Scott

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,764 Posts
We spent $600 for the diagnosis and the MB dealer admitted that they could not identify the cause or a solution. No error codes and everything appeared to fall within spec. For now, I'm having to live with a car that requires a 10 minute warm-up every morning. Eventually, I'll probably take the MB to another repair facility, not an MB dealer and see what they can do. MB admitted that this problem has occurred with other ca. 2000 E320s but has been rare (as far as cars taken to MB dealers for this problem) and no owner has wanted to spend loads of $$$$ to explore all the possible causes for the problem. I'll post something when I have another update. I'd like to hear from others. One solution I'm considering is something that would act like an engine block heater that would warm up the engine. It's uncertain if this would avoid the cold stalling issue during the first start up on cold mornings.
Scott
You can retrofit block heater to your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Retro-fit for engine block heater

Have you installed an engine block heater in a 2000 E-320? I'm willing to give it a try. Any idea what parts/labor may run for the engine block installation? Very much appreciate the tip!
Scott

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport Sedan
387 Posts
My '99 E320 does the same thing. I get it going with the brake/gas trick you mentioned. I asked on here about 2 years ago and it was suggested it was the crank sensor. It wasn't. Also a temp sensor by the thermostat. No go with it either. No vacuum leaks or any thing has ever been found. 40 or below it does it. Other than that, it has been a great car for the 5 years I have owned it. I have never had it checked at a dealer or garage. I do all my own work on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Electric oil pan heater

Has anyone used an electric heater pad for the engine oil pan or transmission fluid to get rid of a cold start stalling problem, as described above? The earlier suggestion of retrofitting an engine block heater was a good one. However before going to that expense for something that may not resolve the problem, I'll try a less expensive option. ProHeat has a pad that can be used to warm up the engine oil or transmission fluid and it's less than $50 and easy to install. I'd like to hear from anyone that has used this product.
Scott

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,764 Posts
Has anyone used an electric heater pad for the engine oil pan or transmission fluid to get rid of a cold start stalling problem, as described above? The earlier suggestion of retrofitting an engine block heater was a good one. However before going to that expense for something that may not resolve the problem, I'll try a less expensive option. ProHeat has a pad that can be used to warm up the engine oil or transmission fluid and it's less than $50 and easy to install. I'd like to hear from anyone that has used this product.
Scott
Heating pad will work on transmission but engine oil pan offers no contact area because of ribbed construction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone installed a retrofitted engine block heater in an E320? I'm curious to know cost of parts and the number of hours a shop would need to install. Given that the oil pan is ribbed on my E320, it looks like I'm back to exploring an engine block heater. Thanks.
Scott

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Just a thought: Since you don't have the typical aversion to dealers we see here (I trust and use mine), have you considered asking your dealer to have the regional rep look at your car? It's part of their job to come in and help the techs with difficult problems like yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The local dealer had our E320 for a week and during that time, the regional rep checked the car and MB Headquarters was also consulted. Unfortunately, none of that additional expertise provided any insight on what was causing the problem or a solution. I'd gladly go to the dealer again if I believed that they could resolve the problem (at a reasonable cost-given that the work would be done at dealer rates). For now, I'll try the engine block heater option if that is doable and/or I'll try the heating pad to heat the transmission fluid. Thanks anyhow about the regional rep option.
Scott

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Thank you for elaborating. If you stated that earlier I must have overlooked it. I would be doing the same thing you are at this point. Best of luck!

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,764 Posts
The local dealer had our E320 for a week and during that time, the regional rep checked the car and MB Headquarters was also consulted. Unfortunately, none of that additional expertise provided any insight on what was causing the problem or a solution. I'd gladly go to the dealer again if I believed that they could resolve the problem (at a reasonable cost-given that the work would be done at dealer rates). For now, I'll try the engine block heater option if that is doable and/or I'll try the heating pad to heat the transmission fluid. Thanks anyhow about the regional rep option.
Scott
Factory rep is just another guy in white shirt, freshly pressed tie and Rolex watch. What did you expect?

Problem will take guy in blue shirt that knows difference between carburetor and hood release handle.;)

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Factory rep is just another guy in white shirt, freshly pressed tie and Rolex watch. What did you expect?

Problem will take guy in blue shirt that knows difference between carburetor and hood release handle.;)
ROTFLMAO!

I used to think they knew more than that...

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,764 Posts
ROTFLMAO!

I used to think they knew more than that...
They have nicer laptop with developer version of SDS and can look at more things and change settings that are not available to mere mortals. They still have to follow factory approved repair procedures.

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
23 Posts
So true about the Mercedes Rep! These are the guys that get a new Mercedes every year as part of their job - and don't have to deal with crap like this.

So I've changed out all my cats, still have the issue. Also, my overall performance is down (lower mpg and power) and the needle on the speedometer seems to "hiccup" or not move smoothly when you step on the gas. Anyone else experiencing these symptoms as well?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Retro-fit for engine block heater

According to the local MB dealer, the retrofit kit for the engine block heater will not work on my E320 so I didn't order it. The next step will be to buy a heating pad to warm up the transmission fluid. It'll be a long shot that the cold stall-start up issue will be resolved with the heating pad, but it's an inexpensive option to try. The retrofit listing supplied by a fellow lister was for an older C class and won't work on the E320, according to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts