Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Start Pilot

29309 Views 31 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Mogasaurus
Afternoon from sunny England.
Another one for you Mog lovers!
My U1000 is fitted with a Start Pilot.This is the oojamaflip that you fill with starter fluid under the bonnet, and prime it from the cab, for starting on extremely cold days( not that we get them in the UK).

Any of you guys use it?What exactly is the fluid that is put in?

Mine is a good starter so I don't ever feel the need to use it,but I am curious!

I have the user manual but it leaves more questions unanswered!

Thanks peeps!
Afternoon from sunny England.
Another one for you Mog lovers!
My U1000 is fitted with a Start Pilot.This is the oojamaflip that you fill with starter fluid under the bonnet, and prime it from the cab, for starting on extremely cold days( not that we get them in the UK).

Any of you guys use it?What exactly is the fluid that is put in?

Mine is a good starter so I don't ever feel the need to use it,but I am curious!

I have the user manual but it leaves more questions unanswered!

Thanks peeps!
See more
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,467 Posts
normal, yes I use it if I need to start when it's well below 0C. Saves wear and tear on the starter and battery from cranking.

You use a "special" fluid, made by Black Forest elves with good labour contracts. The bottles press into the top of the reservoir to unload their contents.

All of the USA dealers have the stuff. A while back, it got more difficult to buy because of changes in the transportation rules (it was considered hazardous cargo) but, they've either changed the rules again or people have found other ways to ship it.

· Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,467 Posts
A word of warning - it's recommended that one begin cranking the engine at the same time you pump the Start Pilote. Pumping before cranking can lead to problems due to the volatile nature of this stuff, building up in the intake.

Reminds me of the Jack Russell story of a MB4-94 operator using excessive starting ether, sprayed directly into the snorkel. Upon "ignition", the explosion not only blew apart the intake and snorkel, but tore the entire fender off the rig.

· Registered
15 Posts
I'm also interested in using this feature, mine looks like it has a little bit of fluid in it but when I pump it, it doesn't seem to inject any fluid, what is this starter fluid called, and when you mean dealers have it, what dealers; mercedez dealers or unimog dealers?
What other things do you do to help start in the cold weather? I put a magnetic heater on the oil pan to see if that helps.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,168 Posts
I went through the cold weather blues, Montana-style, and I found that
cranking speed seems to be the critical thing for me. If the battery is warm and charged, it'll turn over enough to catch. If it is going to be below 10 degrees or so, I'll pull the battery and keep it in the garage. A little bit of a pain, but it works.
I tried the magnetic heaters, putting two on the pan, but if the battery was cold, they didn't seem to do enough to matter.
I think a coolant heater, either the 110V plug-in, or the diesel-fired style is the ultimate solution, but I haven't done that as yet.

· Registered
1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
3,323 Posts
That is why the 1970's Lada car we had recommended.
( i ) First turn the engine over a few times with the starting handle as supplied.
( ii ) Then SWITCH ON THE HEADLIGHTS for a few minutes to draw some current off the very cold battery and hence WARM IT UP
( iii ) Then simply turn the key.
Talk about "counter intuitive"

· Registered
U1700 DOKA...SOLD
400 Posts
So, do you have to use a special fluid or can it be purchased locally? I have used mine a couple times and it works great...usually only requires a pump or two and it fires right up. I just want to know where to get more fluid before I run out on a cold morning. Still trying to get the MOG inside. The forms are made and almost ready to pour the slab for the UNIMOG garage!

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,168 Posts
I remember reading that other "starting fluid"-type products can be used, if you pull the spray cap off and are lucky enough to have a pipe that mates w/ the Start Pilot receiver...But the North American UNIMOG suppliers all have it, I think, and even though it isn't super cheap (due to the ELVE'S Union contract, and, now, the EURO's dominance over the Greenback), I'd say spend the money and call one of the guys---every single thing they bring from Europe
has gone up by a considerable amount over the last year...

As far as the Trabant, and cold weather, I found this guy in Eastern Europe that has crafted, hand-made, Snow Tires. Very old school and SOLID , using a very old-world approach...still waiting to hear if he has them in UNIMOG sizes.

Attachments

· Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,467 Posts
Like Reinhart said, you can "adapt" a regular starting ether can to fill the Start Pilote. I did it a few years ago with a flexible tube and a plastic nozzle off some other bottle. I was able to get fluid in but ended up losing probably as much as I added.

I decided it was easier (although more expensive) to just order a few cans with the proper fill device. I got them from either Ince or Sean - can't remember which. I seldom run my Mog when it's VERY cold so I still have a whole bottle+.

The "real stuff" is supposed to have a magic mix of volatiles, lubricants and troll blood that not only starts your OM352, but heals rust on your cab floor, polishes your portal gears, cures your gout AND ups the compression on any nearby Trabant...

· Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,467 Posts
As far as the Trabant, and cold weather, I found this guy in Eastern Europe that has crafted, hand-made, Snow Tires. Very old school and SOLID , using a very old-world approach...still waiting to hear if he has them in UNIMOG sizes.
I think those are option code R99 - special tires for logging and forestry equipment. Very expensive from the factory...

· Registered
1984 Mercedes 280GE LWB
139 Posts
I know this is an old thread on the start pilot system but since it is winter I thought somebody might benefit from a bump of this topic. As I am in the midst of sorting out and adjusting the various systems on my new 406 DoKa I thought I would get the start pilot system ready to go since it hasn't been used in a couple of years according to the PO. I ordered a can of the approved fluid from Eurotruck Importers in Georgia. The package arrived and it is the official Mercedes brand starting fluid which the label says is something containing di-ethyl ether. I think it is basically starting either with some special additive Mercedes feels should be included for its 352 diesel motors. I've attached a few photos of the box, can and directions sheet. I thought it was interesting that the can has much of the directions printed upside down so when you actually push the can down on the start pilot system you can read the instructions and warnings. It looks pretty straight forward. The special nozzle type top of the can makes filling easy. Simply fill the reservoir with the can which looks like a spray paint can less the spray nozzle. It recommends starting the engine and pumping the start pilot knob at the same time for best success. I think you run the risk of an explosion if you pump first and then hit the starter button! A final note is this, since I ordered the stuff the temperatures here in Indiana have shot up from -9 to a current evening temp of 35 balmy degrees. Just my luck. If I order a snow blower it never snows much that winter. If I order start pilot fluid we have a very unusual February warm spell. I'm available to rent in your neck of the woods if you need as warm up. Just invite me to your place and I'll buy a new winter coat or something for the trip. I can just about guarantee an immediate warm up!!! Guarantee void north of the USA/Canadian border!!!!!!! Steve O

Attachments

· Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,513 Posts
Steve, I have one operational 10' plow for my mog, it has not snowed more than 5" since it was delivered. Go figure

· Registered
1984 Mercedes 280GE LWB
139 Posts
Seth,
Your luck sounds like mine. I think we could both be in the Little Abner comics...remember the guy who ran around with the clound over his head? I'd give you his last name but as I recall it had no vowels!!! The plow is still cool to have though. It could sub as driveway grader if nothing else...you know global warming and all.
Steve

· Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,544 Posts
Nice write up guys...always good to keep it original if possible. Even if the Start Pilote on mine is somewhat of a museum piece.... Now if everthing else works as it is supposed to I will never need it.
Seth be careful of what you wish for...the first 12 hours of plowing are fun, after that not so much.

· Registered
1984 Mercedes 280GE LWB
139 Posts
John,
I pulled that receipe for start pilot fluid and started translating but ran out of liquid refreshment. You and I had a similar conversation the other night afte a few too many which ended with a heavy discussion of the Boer War. I think it is cheaper in the long run to just buy the start pilot cans from our suppliers. At 35 degrees in february I think the can I have will last longer than I will. Steve

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,168 Posts
I'm with you on that...the start Pilote.

I'm pretty sure the STELLA Brewery won't go out of business this week, after
my recent mis-guided efforts of Sat. Night...sheesh !

"Sir, Step away from the KEYBOARD !"

· Registered
1984 Mercedes 280GE LWB
139 Posts
John, you got Stella Artois in Bozeman? We truly do have a global economy. If those flatheads get hold of it were are in trouble. That stuff is still hard to find here in "Carmel By The Freeway", Indiana!
Cheeers,
Steve

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.