Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i lost my only key to my 99 s320 mercedes benz. The dealership was able to order me a replacement key that i was told would unlock and start the car but the car doesnt start with key and says start error. Any ideas whats going on?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have a '99 S500 and it has DAS-X security system that uses RFID type chip that is included in case with RF/IR Remote Key. The RFID does not use battery power. It gets its power from magnetic signal from antenna coil around the ignition lock assy. Those cars have the chrome plated ring around the ignition lock assy.

DAS-X RFID chip is coded to the car similar to the RF/IR Remote Key.

If you have the DAS-X system then a metal key alone will not start the car. A metal key with an RF/IR remote key will not start the car UNLESS it also has the RFID chip and that chip IS coded to the car.

They should have know this at the dealer and they certainly should have verified function before delivering key to the customer. Usually the car is required to be there with proof of ownership both to order and pick up the key.

If you do have DAS-X, then the "Drive Authorization System" (DAS) will have to be bypassed to start without the RFID verification. It has been done, but it's a lot less easy than getting a replacement key, but sadly the W140 RF/IR remote keys have been NLA for a while and don't look like they are coming back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts