Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320 White; 2017 C300 White.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This noon, I checked the fuse and swapped the relay at the right foot well (this area got water in sometimes during raining season in the past, I cleared up the sunroof drain to fix the problem. It is clean and dry now). No able to check for 12V at fuse F2f12 or F2f13 because the car remains on 'Start Error', no clanking at all.

Ok, I ordered the Mahle fuel filter, 12 years passed by real fast :(.
Thinking about order an URO fuel pump from AutohausAZ for $99, is it a good choice for fuel pump?
The meantime, I will working on the removal the back seat this afternoon to get access to the fuel pump, is there a way to test out the fuel pump? can I use my old battery to test it?

Thank you- wallyo & Witek_M for your inputs .

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,777 Posts
You will get voltage at the fuse only for a few seconds as the pump primes.

Best to have a helper crank it while you
Are down there with the volt meter checking for voltage.

As to URO I would look further URO does not have a good rep among members. Regardless buy one with a lifetime warranty if you can .

I went with a Delphi was hoping it was made in Europe or the States, it is not.
Mercedes Benz some online dealers sell them around 200. But some pumps have been discontinued and dealers were charging a core fee so you have to pay postage to send the old back.

Bosch is too much money.

In you area I call a dealer or 2 see what price they have.

But Tan do some double checking on the voltage. You have 0 pressure but it could be a bad wire.

If you have a kick well fuse box and it got wet that could be the issue.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,971 Posts
This noon, I checked the fuse and swapped the relay at the right foot well (this area got water in sometimes during raining season in the past, I cleared up the sunroof drain to fix the problem. It is clean and dry now). No able to check for 12V at fuse F2f12 or F2f13 because the car remains on 'Start Error', no clanking at all.

Ok, I ordered the Mahle fuel filter, 12 years passed by real fast :(.
Thinking about order an URO fuel pump from AutohausAZ for $99, is it a good choice for fuel pump?
The meantime, I will working on the removal the back seat this afternoon to get access to the fuel pump, is there a way to test out the fuel pump? can I use my old battery to test it?

Thank you- wallyo & Witek_M for your inputs .
Remove fuel pump relay and using jumper jump terminals 30 and 87. Check power at fuse.

As far as URO parts. Hit search enter "URO parts" and do some reading.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi wallyo & Witak_M,
Yes...Water got into the kick well fuse box last 2 years during heavy rain season. What kind of issue do I have? See picture, I notice the upper right has some kind of water damage after looking at the picture (didn't see when I was there this aftenoon.

I have a little experience using jumper jump terminals 30 and 87. Check power at fuse. What exactly that I have pin on?

Ok, no URO parts then, maybe try the MBoemparts.com for the remanufactured one for $200. I will check with my dealer, I bet must be above $400.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I took off the back seat...Here is the picture of the fuel pump, seems like the previous owner open up before, well at least it is genuine mercedes fuel pump, must be changed under warranty. I bought the car at about 35k miles in 2006. Still had factory warranty, don't remember have any issues for the car required go to dealer. That is why I like this SUV, better than the BMW (too much issues and wasted too much money on parts that I didn't need.) :)
What to test to make sure the fuel pump is bad?

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,270 Posts
Read post #46 and follow the photos/ descriptions to test your FP

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,086 Posts
When you turn the key to ignition II, what does the security light beside the radio do? Turn off, or rapid blinking?

·
4,086 Posts
Huh, didn't know that the 163 would throw up start error because no fuel. Normally start error is usually immobilizer related.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,777 Posts
Huh, didn't know that the 163 would throw up start error because no fuel. Normally start error is usually immobilizer related.
Yes it will, just had it happen several times my self. Start error and key was recognized. Read post 18. Since replacing the pump and filter no start error it starts now everytime.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi wallyo,
Thank you sharing your experience that Start Error could be a fuel pump problem, not immobiliser related. So I am working on the right direction.

Hi Khomer2,
Thank you for point me to 43sqd post#46 to test out the pump, but my ML320 is in right passenger kick well, I have the picture posted before. I think I can apply the same logic, but I have to get a better jump jumper wire, using a paperclip didn't work.

Since I have the access to the fuel pump, can I direct apply 12v to the pump to see whether the pump works? Is it a closed system without fuel smell, will it safe to do test like this?

Left size have 2 thicker wires (green and brown) which one is ground and positive?

By the way, I called my Mercedes dealer, they said the fuel pump is a special order (meaning no return), and take 7 days delivery from Germany, cost $325 (lower than I expected earlier above $400).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you Witek_M, I will find a way apply 12V to brown and green wire to see whether the pump is bad.

I also got the MD820 in, ran it and no codes.
I clear the code, so I can clank (I know there is 0 psi on fuel line), therefore, it clanked but no start (at least, my starter is working).

I don't know what are those Monitors N/A, OK, and INC numbers are? I need to learn the scanner.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,971 Posts
Thank you Witek_M, I will find a way apply 12V to brown and green wire to see whether the pump is bad.

I also got the MD820 in, ran it and no codes.
I clear the code, so I can clank (I know there is 0 psi on fuel line), therefore, it clanked but no start (at least, my starter is working).

I don't know what are those Monitors N/A, OK, and INC numbers are? I need to learn the scanner.
Looks like you have entered OBDII mode. You need to go to manufactures specific area. Look for "Benz".

It is 108F in the garage. No, I am not going in there. 😕

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Witek_M

Ok, I ran "Benz", here are the codes: P2602 and P2001, what are they?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,777 Posts

·
4,086 Posts
No, those codes have no relation to the start error.

Check the fuel pressure, either by powering the fuel pump directly or cranking. I see you have a new pump installed.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,971 Posts
Witek_M

Ok, I ran "Benz", here are the codes: P2602 and P2001, what are they?
After selecting vehicle run Auto scan, wait until all control modules are scanned. With pen and paper scroll through all with faults. Hit OK then Read codes, write down code number and full description. Hit ESC and proceed to next module with fault. In DAS (Drive Authorization System) hit Live Data ->Drive Authorization, take picture.

In ME2 hit Live Data ->Check Drive Authorization, take picture.

When done hit Quick Erase then escape to main menu. Don't just yank the cord out.

To avoid confusion list faults by module name.

Maintain battery voltage.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts