Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Mercedes ml320
My blade in switchblade broke in half. I didn't have a spare. I did however get a blank blade cut. The locksmith put it in my old fob, which the fob unlocked and locked at that point. The key started the car and shut back down. Now I have a start error showing on dash. Nothing is working, not my fob, windows, etc. Key still goes in ignition and turns but will not start! Can anyone please help. My cats been sick at work for almost 2 weeks. It is my only vehicle and desperately need it up and running again! Mercedes discontinued my key. So I was trying any other route.
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
10,532 Posts
2001 Mercedes ml320
My blade in switchblade broke in half. I didn't have a spare. I did however get a blank blade cut. The locksmith put it in my old fob, which the fob unlocked and locked at that point. The key started the car and shut back down. Now I have a start error showing on dash. Nothing is working, not my fob, windows, etc. Key still goes in ignition and turns but will not start! Can anyone please help. My cats been sick at work for almost 2 weeks. It is my only vehicle and desperately need it up and running again! Mercedes discontinued my key. So I was trying any other route.
Thank you!!!
Warning lights come on dash with key in position 2?
You can order spare key with no remote. It is around $50.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My apologies, I am new to this! Not sure that I replied in the right spot.

Will I be able to do that even though they discontinued my keys? Also will that clear the code?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
10,532 Posts
Will I be able to do that even though they discontinued my keys? Also will that clear the code?
What is no longer available is fob with remote locking. Spare or emergency key is readily available. You have to prove ownership. Depending how much of an a-hole your local dealer is there may be some hurdles to jump. Some require for car to be present to order and pickup a key. Call around.
I am not sure if new spare key will clear "start error" but for sure it will eliminate one of the missing links.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
9,128 Posts
If you are really in dire need or desire for a replacement keyfob, there are presently, third party locksmiths that can provide you with one.
You shouldnt have any problem finding one in FL.

Please complete your BW registration profile.
Goto your ===> user CP profile====> click on your icon----> click on Account Settings----> goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR into your Profile ----> click save.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What you know what I never even thought about that! I'm going to have to check into that! Then I don't know what to do. If I should contact him and tell him he either needs a fix it or reimburse me my money. IDK

But as far as finding a locksmith I am really had a heck of a time doing that! He was the first one out of about 20 locksmith that would even attempt to cut it! And I can't have it towed to the Mercedes dealership that is quite a distance from where my car is!

Thank you all for all of your help!!!

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
10,532 Posts
What you know what I never even thought about that! I'm going to have to check into that! Then I don't know what to do. If I should contact him and tell him he either needs a fix it or reimburse me my money. IDK

But as far as finding a locksmith I am really had a heck of a time doing that! He was the first one out of about 20 locksmith that would even attempt to cut it! And I can't have it towed to the Mercedes dealership that is quite a distance from where my car is!

Thank you all for all of your help!!!
Have you called local MB dealer about spare key?

When was last time your car was running normal? Battery OK?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts