Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 ML 320
truck was sitting about 6 months. Jump started, took to mechanic to recharge battery. recharged two times, kept getting start error message.
told mechanic to change battery. Went to pick up car, still getting start error message.
Any thoughts, Thanks................

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
You are not giving too much info. for such an important problem. Is the engine running or not?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
I reckon you've lost Drive Authorization due to voltage surge during the jumpstart. Does LED below low range button blink when key turned to position 2? Try your spare key. If that doesn't start it, prepare for hip pocket neuralgia.

Did you disconnect the battery near the beginning of the lengthy undriven period? Next time, buy yourself a 240 V AC charger, reconnect, and avoid this crisis.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2000 ML 320 error message

The engine was running smooth after I jumpstarted it.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One key doesnt work. The other one is in the shop so I will know tomorrow.
If the cars battery was charged initially without disconnecting the cables would that have caused one of the modules to fail?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
One key doesnt work. The other one is in the shop so I will know tomorrow.
If the cars battery was charged initially without disconnecting the cables would that have caused one of the modules to fail?
Yes it could have but the engine will not be able to run. Obviously you drove the truck to the mechanic, so he must have the good key. Isn't that a safe assumption?

·
Registered
2000 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After driving the car to the mechanic, the car was shut off and the battery charged up two seperate times.
Hopefully, just a key issue.
Thanks...

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
Does the bad key still start the engine? The remote unlocking is a separate system so one can work even if the other doesn't.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tomorrow, I will try the key the mechanic has. Maybe that one will work?
Also, I have the fuse for the alarm horn out of the box.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tomorrow, If the mechanics key does not start the engine, how would I determine if
its the key the Drive auth module or another module?

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
Your bad spare key can still remote-unlock the doors, right? That key's code was corrupted in a similar manner.

You're looking at a trip to the dealer, with your truck on a flatbed. Keys are covered by a special MB policy that requires you, your vehicle, ID, and title to be present and accounted-for at an authorized dealer before they will deliver your new key. No exceptions.
how would I determine if its the key the Drive auth module or another module?
You can safely assume your DAS module is ok, because it let you drive it once. You may tell the dealer that you only want to order a new key and you do not want diagnosis. If they refuse, call another dealer. You need a spare key anyway.

They have a special computer that can access your DAS and confirm it's ok. And charge you extra to plug it in. It's up to you.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2000 ml 320 start error

Mechanics key starts vehicle. The other key went bad.
Thanks to all.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
Hang on a sec. Was that the same key that was causing start error? How did you resolve it?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
I can only guess what happened here. After a 6 mo. layover you thought the truck would start, which it didn't, and then you left the key in the ignition and attempted a jump start.

In all probability the key was in the on position when you tried the jump start. Never ever do that. The key must be out of the ignition when you attempt a jump start. Then after the cables are correctly attached, then attempt to start.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe the key was in the ignition in the off position. That might have been enough to cause problems. Thanks...............

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
Thanks to all for your thoughts,

Irv
You're welcome. Glad you got it fixed.

I understand this story now. The flat battery was causing "start error". The mechanic fixed it by R&I battery. You went to pick up the truck after hours, used remote unlock but couldn't start it because you were using the bad key. But you already knew it was bad, right?

If you can remember, what did you do to make that key bad? That's what future readers want to know.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
I can only guess what happened here. After a 6 mo. layover you thought the truck would start, which it didn't, and then you left the key in the ignition and attempted a jump start.

In all probability the key was in the on position when you tried the jump start. Never ever do that. The key must be out of the ignition when you attempt a jump start. Then after the cables are correctly attached, then attempt to start.
I believe the key was in the ignition in the off position. That might have been enough to cause problems. Thanks...............
If you can remember, what did you do to make that key bad? That's what future readers want to know.
I lost DAS synchronization on two keys in my 98ML before any of us, including Mercedes mechanics, knew what was going on. Both went bad during dead / low battery situations. Luckily both were covered under warranty.
As 43sqd stated, NEVER leave key in ignition when charging or jump starting. The early ML were particularly sensitive to this situation. I now completely remove the key from the vehicles before doing any electrical work or charging.
Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts