Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine has an incredibly beautiful 89 560SL that she just dragged into my shop on a flat bed because it wouldn’t start. It’s pretty much that simple. There was nothing wrong with the car, always started pretty easy (we did just clean the battery terminals last week because it wouldn’t start, but then it wouldn’t even turn over. Wire brushed terminals fixed it though. Well that and a nice long drive on a beautiful autum day to charge up the battery!). Always a well serviced car. Now you turn the key and she turns over but won’t hold. What I mean is she’ll start right up just at a touch of the key but die almost immediatly. The only way to keep it running after you get off the key is to hold the pedal to the floor and keep her near red-line. (My friend called and thought it important to tell me that the car stank very much when she would keep the “right gauge all the way to the right� to keep the car running. I would say it would! Probably the end of the cat converter too!) Anyway, anyone who could send me a nice troubleshooting list would find themselves one favor on top in my book. I don’t know my MB V-8’s quite as well as I know my diesels and in-line sixes. Thanks in advance to all!
-Matthias-

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Re: Poor starting

Fuel pump relay is a good start. Rather than buy a new one, split the old one open and you will probably see a blown track or cracked solder joints which can be fixed easy with a soldering iron.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting update: After poking around on the car for a day or two and finding nothing...

Interesting update: After poking around on the car for a day or two and finding nothing she fired off as if there had never been a problem. I took her for a drive, fueled her up and then sat in the garaged and started and shut off the car many-a-time, all without a single hic-up. Hmm. If this helps anyone diagnose the situation please get back to me as I am sure the dragon is not slayed, only sleeping.
Thanks to all.
-M-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts