Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SLK E320CDI, GX470
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my SLK with a MB factory Starmark warranty. Just took it in yesterday for two unrelated problems - trunk pneumatic closers didn't function and a tranny problem. The dealer made me sign off for a $125.00 per item - $250 total for an inspection, in the event the parts under the Starmark warranty were not covered. I've been buying MB's for almost 20 years, each vehicle had an extended warranty...and I was NEVER approached with this situation before.....Anyone else have this type of experience lately?? Any suggestions - other than call regional Monday morning? Thanks!

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Same here everytime my car went in w/starmark I had to agree up to 350 estimate in case it wasnt a starmark covered item.

·
Registered
99 230 SLK Sport
42 Posts
Which years had the pneumatic closer? Mine doesn't have it..or maybe it just doesn't work!?

·
Registered
SLK E320CDI, GX470
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2001 - the trunk slams down regardless of its position. They worked when the car was new, but at about 30K started malfunctioning.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Man, that's bullshit! We purchased the extra warranty and they VOWED it was everything and all the very same warranty that it was brand new. There was nothing that wasn't covered, it was just like a new car warranty. Man, I feel sorry for them if they do something like that to us. If they make my wife go in there and cross her arms.... LAY DOWN! PLAY DEAD!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
dymensions - 4/11/2005 4:23 AM

2001 - the trunk slams down regardless of its position. They worked when the car was new, but at about 30K started malfunctioning.
I guess I would call them hydraulic openers [:)]. I think you are refering to the hydraulic struts that hold the trunk lid open when you open the trunk normally from the rear. My car has 33k miles and the struts seem to be a little weak. I think I will have the dealer look at them before my warranty expires in December.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
I just went out and tested mine because my trunk is heavy to open and slams shut if I let it go. I think mine are dead too. Sometimes its just one that's bad and the other one can't hold it alone. This was the case several times in my Grand Cherokee. They should have replaced them both at the same time.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,194 Posts
16falcon - 4/11/2005 9:20 AM

dymensions - 4/11/2005 4:23 AM

I guess I would call them hydraulic openers [:)]. I think you are refering to the hydraulic struts that hold the trunk lid open when you open the trunk normally from the rear. My car has 33k miles and the struts seem to be a little weak. I think I will have the dealer look at them before my warranty expires in December.
Get them replaced ASAP. I called Mercedes North America a couple of years ago to issue a saftey complaint concerning the trunk struts after my trunk came down on my head and the latch took out a piece of my scalp. They apologized for the incident and told me to take it to the dealer and have them replaced under warranty. They acted like my trunk struts were the first ones to ever go bad...makes me wonder if MB ever evaluates reported problems to improve their quality/reliability ratings.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I guess I would call them hydraulic openers . I think you are refering to the hydraulic struts that hold the trunk lid open when you open the trunk normally from the rear. My car has 33k miles and the struts seem to be a little weak. I think I will have the dealer look at them before my warranty expires in December.

Mine are working fine, still strong. Not much use, but it is a 2001.[8D]

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
Trunk Support

16Falcon, My 03 has only 24K miles. I was reaching in to get my pubs bag last month and the trunk lid decided to meet me. Red is not the best color on the white shirts we wear to work. I will have it adressd at the next service A.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
RE: Trunk Support

flysmith - 4/11/2005 3:59 PM

16Falcon, My 03 has only 24K miles. I was reaching in to get my pubs bag last month and the trunk lid decided to meet me. Red is not the best color on the white shirts we wear to work. I will have it adressd at the next service A.

Billy Ray
Ouch! [xx(]

Y'all be careful out there.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
On a lighter note I think your cars are trying to tell you to put the top down and enjoy the warmer weather. [8D]

Seriously, though, I hope your problems get resolved quick, fast and in a hurry. Cheers!

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Those are gas pressurized struts...they do loose pressure over time. Had to replace mine this last Feb., 05. They are considered a "wear" item and not subject to warranty replacement....just like spark plugs wear. They were only around $ 40.00 to 50.00 for the pair though, and are not hard to install. All in all, I'm satisfied.

Regards

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230 Sport
68 Posts
Just be aware that Starmark Warranty does not cover everything. I tried to get the door pannel replaced on my '99, still under Starmark but out of the 4 year factory warranty (bought used at the MB Dealer). It was a "sorry".

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
John Boy 330xi - 4/11/2005 9:17 AM

Man, that's bullshit! We purchased the extra warranty and they VOWED it was everything and all the very same warranty that it was brand new. There was nothing that wasn't covered, it was just like a new car warranty. Man, I feel sorry for them if they do something like that to us. If they make my wife go in there and cross her arms.... LAY DOWN! PLAY DEAD!
Starmark is the warranty MB provides with certian used cars you purchase from an MB dealer. It is very different from the factory warranty. It is also different than an extended warranty you purchase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts