Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Well, I am working to educate myself regarding the W140. These sound like great vehicles and I have already begun my search. This will be my 52nd car in 30 years, and my first Benz. I have a classic Range Rover and a couple of BMW's currently. Aaaanyway...

I saw a 1999 S420 that had the MB Star IN the grille...not the traditional hood ornament that sticks-up on the hood. I really like th IN-Grille look of the MB emblem/star but have not seen any others.

Was this something that owner did or did they make a W140 with an option for one or the other?

Aside from just liking the look better of the in-grille star, I wonder about vandalism of the stand-up hood star (pardon my lack of proper jargon, here!).

Thanks!

SG

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
You can buy the instar grille inserts in the same way people buy S600 ones:

MERCEDES/BENZ MERCEDES/BENZ W140/S CLASS(92-98)FRONT GRILLE(DESIGNED)--Audi|Passat|Satana|Polo|Buick|Boral|Jetta|Golf|Bmw|Benz|Opel|Mazda|Volvo Truck|BenzTruck Auto Lamps|Auto Parts-Chang Zhou DingLiang Vehicle Accessories Co.,Ltd

You can also buy a flat hoodstar then also, IMO haveing the standing star and a star grille looks so so cheap and nasty.

If you don't want to do that you can also buy a star that can easily be removed from the car to stop people snapping it off.

I've not used the company in the link to buy things and I'd suggest you can get products from an Ebay supplier who is atleast in the same country.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It was done by the previous owner of the vehicle. and I personally have never had a problem with my star being taken.

Overall, if you buy the car, you will not be disappointed! I would just recommend you search for pre-purchase tips around the forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick input.

Yes - I have been searching (this forum and elsewhere) for a thorough PPI run-down for the W140...but was surprised that I have not found anything yet.

Plenty of spotty input, but not a "mega-log"...if ya know what I mean.

I am fighting the urge to post one of those dreaded..."Hey, I am thinking about buying an 'X', what shoudl I look for..." questions.

With my Rangies, I am no stranger to mechanical/electrical issues...but don't want to miss anything as I start looking.

SG

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Thanks for the quick input.

Yes - I have been searching (this forum and elsewhere) for a thorough PPI run-down for the W140...but was surprised that I have not found anything yet.

Plenty of spotty input, but not a "mega-log"...if ya know what I mean.

I am fighting the urge to post one of those dreaded..."Hey, I am thinking about buying an 'X', what shoudl I look for..." questions.

With my Rangies, I am no stranger to mechanical/electrical issues...but don't want to miss anything as I start looking.

SG
With the W140 there is only so much that can be done without involving a lift and someone who really knows these cars. I'd say thats why there is no big list. Main thing is if the car drives and feels good then take it to a mechanic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts