Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 mb sl 55 amg witch star diagnostic tool is the best that won’t break the bank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at the c4 or c5 with laptop but don’t know if it was compatible

·
Registered
1999 ML320
125 Posts
Well C3,C4 and C5 are no longer manufacturered, sold or supported by MB. The only thing they sell nowadays is called the Xentry VCI and they won't sell it to you (at least in the USA) unless you get a 20k-39k package that includes 4 years of subscription.

The only C3,C4 and C5 multiplexers available for sale on eBay and other websites are Chinese clones. They used to be some bad and some decent. Nowadays all are garbage

Software subscription, like I said, from MB, start from 4k a year up to 39k for 4 years.

Everything that you see on Ebay and other places is pirated software that might or might not work

For newer MB cars there's also a newer option called Xentry PASSTRU, which allows you to use a j2534 device instead of sdconnect or vci. Passtru subscription is 4k a year

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

On older cars you can do pretty much everything offline. On newer cars (2010 and up) if you need serious stuff done like module programming and emissions codes (remaining starts) delete, you need an MB subscription to perform something called SCN coding.

If you need to get even further at the engineering level, you need Vediamo and DTS Monaco. These two apps are not sold to the public, I believe, and they are extremely hard to use without advanced proper training. One small mistake and you brick the car

·
Registered
2010 W221
14 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a scanner. (chines nock off) Ether a C4 or a C6. The C4 seems to have more soft ware then the C6. Any ideas witch is more versatile? I have a 2010 W221

·
Registered
1999 ML320
125 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a scanner. (chines nock off) Ether a C4 or a C6. The C4 seems to have more soft ware then the C6. Any ideas witch is more versatile? I have a 2010 W221
The so called C6 is an eCom in a case that resembles the original xentry VCI. According to my information it doesn't work with DAS. Only with xentry. C4 clone works with xentry, DAS, vediamo, monaco. Unfortunately the quality of the C4 clones went to in the last 2-3 years

·
Registered
2010 W221
14 Posts
I'm sorry, so the C4 is a better unit? I'm very interested in testing the audio gateway/MOST network. I under stand the quality issues but I cant afford a real MB unit

·
Registered
1999 ML320
125 Posts
I'm sorry, so the C4 is a better unit? I'm very interested in testing the audio gateway/MOST network. I under stand the quality issues but I cant afford a real MB unit
First of all C4, C3, C6 are not scanners. These are multiplexers that are useless without a proper xentry software install. Now about the audio command. Newer cars require DOIP programming feature on the mux AND MOST CLONES DON'T HAVE IT. Don't rush, do research online. Plenty of info on Google

·
Registered
2010 W221
14 Posts
I found a c4 that supports K line, Can bus and UDS. Is it worth more money to get that ability?

·
Registered
64 Posts
FWIW....

I have been researching one unit myself.

Review the following thread, yes it is very long, 1,200 posting over several years

"Got My MB STAR C4 Diagnostic Tool Today!"

The link below is towards the end of the thread.

The software in much more important than the connection box.

Review www.mhhauto.com "the" place for all automotive / industrial software not just MB

Regards

Joseph~

·
Registered
1999 ML320
125 Posts
The more research I do the more confused I seem to get
Very simple

Clones are a lottery. 90% of them are garbage, there's no way to tell which Chinese seller has good ones and which ones have garbage. You will only know when you get yours in the mail

Software. 90% of the installs are garbage ESPECIALLY CHINESE ONES. There's a handful of people (3-4) în the world that do very good installs but it won't be free. Stay away from "ready made hard drives installs"

Original multiplexers are hard to get and very expensive. Used C4 sells around $2500 new/used VCI around $4000. These are very good. Bulletproof

1 - 18 of 18 Posts