Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I own a '99 S500 which I hope to keep until I am too old to drive ;)

I am working on the ADS (adaptive damping system) which doesn't appear to be functioning in my car. I've gone as far as installing a different ADS computer from a donor car from the wrecking yard with no luck..
Since I plan on keeping my car for a long time, I am considering investing in one of the Star Diagnostic Systems I've seen on ebay. It should help me over the years with a lot more than the ADS system.
What I'd like to know from any of you who have such a system, does it link up with the ADS? The ebay descriptions don't mention ADS, and the replies I've gotten from the sellers tells me they don't know much about the systems they're selling! I'd hate to invest 400- 1200 dollars in a system, only to find it won't help me with ADS!!

Thanks, Dan in SoCal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Brett, I really don't want to spend that kind of money only to find that it won't do what i want.
My S500 drives a lot like my Crown Vic with HD suspension, not bad but definitely firm. The ADS warning light isn't lit, but there is no difference in the ride between sport and comfort when I use the ADS toggle, and when I try to push down on the corners of the car it is very firm, I can maybe push it down an inch or so, and it is the same whether the car is running or turned off, or whether the toggle is in sport or comfort. From what I've read on here, there should be a considerable difference between the 2.
Dan

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
Hi Jimmy..

Though I cannot comment on your ADS issues since I have no experience with diagnosing/repairing that system yet.

Though I can say that getting yourself a Star DAS Xentry diagnostic kit is well worth the asking price of only $400.. You will need a Dell D620 / D630 laptop, or IBM T30. Those are very cheap also found on ebay..

I bought myself the Star DAS 03/2012 version and it works really great! I did have some diffeculty getting it to work intially, but once all the stettings were correct it works very well for me. I have used it on W203, W210 and W140 Mercedes so far, it connects to EVERY system of the car possible. It basically gives you the same powers as Mercedes stealerships.

I would recommend to buy it, as for personal use it can last you many years. Just make sure you buy high quality kit, there are many sellers out there.. The average price is $400 - $450 (sometimes cheaper) shipping included via courier.. Dont pay more than that

All the best comrade!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MafiaDon, it's good to hear first hand info , do you have any recommendations as to who might be a good seller? The ebay listings all seem pretty similar, it's hard to tell which is selling quality goods.

Dan

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG Kompressor
361 Posts
Hi MafiaDon,

I also would be interested to hear your recommendation. I have CarSoft and so far it has been doing what I wanted.

I had the original Mercedes Benz Hand-Held Tester with all catridges cables etc and let it go when we got our Jaguar, never thought I would own a W140. And our R129 can be easily "blinked" out

Thanks !

·
Registered
02 CLK55 AMG
60 Posts
Forgive a newbie jumping in, but I'm considering buying a 97 S600 AMG coupe. I'd be very interested in having a diagnostics tool but was wondering why the mention of very specific laptops, "Dell D620 / D630 laptop".

I then spotted my old work laptop, lo and behold, a Dell Lattitude D620, would that fit the bill ?

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Brett, I really don't want to spend that kind of money only to find that it won't do what i want.
My S500 drives a lot like my Crown Vic with HD suspension, not bad but definitely firm. The ADS warning light isn't lit, but there is no difference in the ride between sport and comfort when I use the ADS toggle, and when I try to push down on the corners of the car it is very firm, I can maybe push it down an inch or so, and it is the same whether the car is running or turned off, or whether the toggle is in sport or comfort. From what I've read on here, there should be a considerable difference between the 2.
Dan
If the dash lamp is functional (i.e. It lights up properly when the key is put in position 2.), and it is not lit up showing a fault, the system is likely fine. The difference between comfort and firm is subtle.

The best way I could tell the two settings apart was by driving the same stretch of bumpy road at high speed multiple times in either setting. The firm mode gives a noticeably rougher ride over bumps.

Brett

·
Registered
98 S500
287 Posts
Forgive a newbie jumping in, but I'm considering buying a 97 S600 AMG coupe. I'd be very interested in having a diagnostics tool but was wondering why the mention of very specific laptops, "Dell D620 / D630 laptop".

I then spotted my old work laptop, lo and behold, a Dell Lattitude D620, would that fit the bill ?
Its the way that the software licensing works. My kit runs on VMWare via an external drive - no issues with using it on an HP!

PS - Where are you going to find a AMG Coupe? :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the dash lamp is functional (i.e. It lights up properly when the key is put in position 2.), and it is not lit up showing a fault, the system is likely fine. The difference between comfort and firm is subtle.

The best way I could tell the two settings apart was by driving the same stretch of bumpy road at high speed multiple times in either setting. The firm mode gives a noticeably rougher ride over bumps.

Brett
Thanks Brett, I don't have any experience with the ADS system, but the car rides noticeably firmer than my past Mercedes (1991 300TE) and my present cars (smart car excepted ;)
Also, on ant other car I've owned I've been able to push the corners of the cars down several inches to test the shocks- not this one

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
In my experience, this car is pretty stiffly sprung. So, I don't know what to say. I'm not so sure how you would independently verify that ADS is adjusting the valves at the dampers in the manner that it should beyond feeling the difference while driving.

If you have a road with alternating patches of smooth spots and patches of bumps, try switching between comfort and firm between bumps while at speed.

Brett

1 - 14 of 14 Posts