Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 AMG
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the actual difference between the Stnd Stereo on a 350 and the HK stereo (as ive ordered the KH upgrade)?

thankx

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
What could be more in tune with the times than your favorite music? The harman/kardon Logic7 premium sound system specially designed for the SLK-Class "listens" to the sound in the cabin and compensates for unwanted noise automatically.

Its 11 speaker, 380 watt system includes dual surround speakers and a subwoofer. The system features multichannel digital surround-sound technology developed for the professional recording industry, to provide a natural and realistic sound stage. Digital Dynamic Volume Control helps preserve the sound balance under all driving conditions.

An integrated single-feed 6 disk CD changer fits neatly into your glove box and enables you to listen to your favorite CDs on this premium entertainment system. Finally, a large color-LCD screen on the COMAND system provides crisp, clear displays for the radio and CD changer.

Not available with: 6-Disc CD Changer (Factory installed)
* Audio system shown includes a Bal/Fader option not included on SLK models.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Snowball...are you in marketing? Do you work for HK?

[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Snowball - 3/14/2005 8:55 AM

The harman/kardon Logic7 premium sound system specially designed for the SLK-Class "listens" to the sound in the cabin and compensates for unwanted noise automatically.
My HK system does not listen[:(]I can not tell that it compensates for noise or speed.

·
Registered
slk350 on 9/29/04
114 Posts
I wish my HK would listen!! I would tell it to make the rear speakers adjustable. And to make the bass and subwoofer more prominent as well

·
Registered
SLK350-1/05 Build
6 Posts
malibuite - 3/14/2005 12:04 PM

Snowball - 3/14/2005 8:55 AM

The harman/kardon Logic7 premium sound system specially designed for the SLK-Class "listens" to the sound in the cabin and compensates for unwanted noise automatically.
My HK system does not listen[:(]I can not tell that it compensates for noise or speed.
I just took mine to the dealer to have him verify the speed/ambiant noise feature was activated because I too can't hear a difference at any speed.

It was active and I had him max the adjustment to +9 dbA. Still can't hear a thing and I am not having a fun tweeking the volume. I have the head of service for my dealer looking into the problem to see if anything action needs to be done at the 1000K checkup.

I will post if I find anything out.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 AMG
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok... i have the diagram and specs on the HK system. does any have a diagram or specs for the standard stereo.

it cant just be two extra speakers.
It must have a sub and more power and at least better speakers all round?

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
da_nailgun - 3/15/2005 1:29 AM
...it cant just be two extra speakers...
It's not just 2 extra speakers but 3 counting the center. [:D]

Seriously almost all of the components are deferent and upgraded starting with the Command unit and including all of the speakers. Click on the link and scroll down to Files for 287 R 171 training and this link should provide you with some good info.[;)]

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/index.htm

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Absolutely Awesome Julian!! [:D]

Some great info here!!! [8D] Some light bedtime reading for me this evening!!! [:p]

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Seriously almost all of the components are deferent and upgraded starting with the Command unit and including all of the speakers. Click on the link and scroll down to Files for 287 R 171 training and this link should provide you with some good info.[;)]

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/index.htm[/QUOTE]

WOW!. Can you now find us the service manuasl so we can mess with the settings?

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
I have read through the audio files and from what I read it seems that the speakers are the same for either system, except for two additional speakers in the center rear for the HK system. I can't see anywhere in the files that the speakers are different. Does anyone have concrete knowledge that the 9 speakers(other than the two extra) are different? It seems from the data that the main differences are the head units; standard unit vs. Command, separate audio gateway, CD changer and two additional speakers. I am asking because I have the standard audio 20 and considered adding Command and the HK gateway, but if the speakers are different then it dosn't make a lot of sense. The cost to replace speakers too would get out of hand.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 AMG
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was just about to post the same query.
I just read about the stereo systems and it seems that 2 more speakers is all you get.

with 350 i have ordered, it comes with command as standard, but i have gotten the HK package extra. just now wondering if its worth the 2200doallars australian extra?

any info would be great as my car is getting built very soon (I HOPE[V])

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the standard speakers are a generic brand, not HK. Therefore the HK setup is a true HK one.

Anyway, seeing the number of people who complain about the poor sound quality of their standard speaker setup (versus those with HK, who don't really seem to complain at all), I think you need to make up the decision on your own. If you like to listen to music, and you want good quality sound, get the HK. As simple as that. Yes, it's expensive, but you won't be complaining or trying to change the setup 6 months from now. If you tend to drive with the sound turned off, or maybe just listen to some talk shows on the radio, then the standard setup should do just fine.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Shinigami - 3/16/2005 3:51 AM

I think I read somewhere that the standard speakers are a generic brand, not HK. Therefore the HK setup is a true HK one...
Correct: The standard system gets off the shelf OEM MB generic speakers. The Harman Kardon system gets, well surprise, Harman Kardon speakers. This should be obvious just like a Bose system gets Bose speakers and a JBL system gets JBL speakers.

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Have the HK stereo.
Sounds great and it does raise the volume to compensate for noise - you can hear it getting louder.
Very happy with this setup.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 AMG
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, thats what i always thought, but when i started seeing posts where people would say that "the only differnce is two working rear speakers" I started to question it.

Thankx for the extra extra clarification Jules [:p]

Julien - 3/17/2005 12:53 AM

Shinigami - 3/16/2005 3:51 AM

I think I read somewhere that the standard speakers are a generic brand, not HK. Therefore the HK setup is a true HK one...
Correct: The standard system gets off the shelf OEM MB generic speakers. The Harman Kardon system gets, well surprise, Harman Kardon speakers. This should be obvious just like a Bose system gets Bose speakers and a JBL system gets JBL speakers.

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
I asked the question of my dealer whether the HK set-up changed all the speakers or just added some. They answered that they thought all the speakers are upgraded - pleased to see that others are confirming that. I decided to go for the HK option with Comand.

I've had HK systems on 2 BMWs, and I think they are very good as in-car systems go. One of them is speed-sensitive, and I actually turn down the sensitivity to minimum, as I like to have the music at the max comfortable level, and don't want it to get louder just because I am going faster.

Even though it's not a hi-fi environment, in practice the car is where I get most time to listen to music.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts