Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had an intermittent stalling problem for some time now, basically the car will stall upon a bit of heavy braking when the car has been running for a little while.

I have become aware of this being lose (check the picture)... Sorry, I am a complete n00b but what is it (I'm thinking maybe its an airflow sensor).. and could this be the cause of my intermittent stalling?

It's lose, looks like a clip is broken which isn't holding it in quite correctly.. Any ideas are appreciated.

Muchly thanks :p

·
Registered
190e 2.6L
297 Posts
I think this is the MAF, but if your car stalls only under heavy braking, I'd check for vacuum leaks...

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
Yeah see that bigger hose below what you circled. check that as its the brake booster line

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I pulled the thick hose on the left, seems there was a little oil in there when I pulled it out... any suggestions? :)

·
Banned
0 Posts
Oil is normal if that's your breather hose. Mine kicks oil on that end, sort of like belching or farting (wet! ewww). Follow that hose towards the ICV and check those hoses by squeezing them. If they are too hard then they are too old and probably brittle and leaking AIR. Those should and must be a maintenance item.
If they leak, your car WILL STALL!

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK... So can I clear this up, the hose to the left of my red circle on that pic goes to the ICV, the hose below it with the white 'gizmo-type-thing' on it is the brake booster line?!? Thankyou for assisting my n00bness!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Yes, it would seem to be but your air cleaner box is different than mine. That hose on the left could also be connected to an air pump to control start up smog. Whatever the case might be you need to check the ICV hoses.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks for your help so far! I've had the air box off and that breather hose is not secure, it doesn't seem too perished though.. any idea if there is supposed to be a jubilee clip on the end? I think I might try putting one on anyway to see if it'll stop any leaks... I've still no idea as of yet where my ICV is though, do you think maybe this hose could be the problem?!

Thankyou :)

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0L Auto
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... I went and grabbed a new breather tube from the dealer yesterday and replaced it whilst I was there (thought it would give me a chance to try it out on the way home). It would seem as though this has definitely helped the initial problem of stalling when I brake. However I've now come up against another problem - on my way home, I was driving down the dual-carriageway and the car completely lost power (foot to the floor, it just did nothing). I glided to a stop and when it stopped completely the car stalled. It would not start until left for a minute.

It did this four times in total and would not start each time until left for a while. I drove it home, went to go out again, it wouldn't start. Left it, it started.

No problems as of today... does this sound like a fuel injector / fuel pump problem to you guys? I can hear it whirrr even when the car doesn't start though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts