Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S430 AMG
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 S430 with 106k miles

Last night I stopped at a red light, the check engine light came on and the car started running rough. Over the course of 1 mile acceleration became weaker and weaker until the car just cut out but the electrical was fine. I tried starting and it was cranking but not turning over.

My tank showed I still had about 45 miles, so this morning I put gas in it with hopes it was just reading wrong. It started fine, ran rough for a little while but eventually went back to normal except that the check engine light is still on.

I am reminded everyday on the display that I'm about 600 miles past recommended service but other than that, no other major issues. Later today I plan to take it to Auto Zone to get the codes pulled.

I have read the posts about the crankshaft position sensor but everyone I've read had the car just shutting off without warning. I'm assuming mine is different since it happened semi-gradually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Avondale...I remember when that was three stop signs and a left-turn lane. ;)

I'd suggest getting the codes read. If you have a CPS code then yes, change it; otherwise, when's the last time you changed the fuel filter? Fuel pumps also wear out, was your whining/groaning/humming when it was low on fuel?

How did you ever get it started to put gas in it?

BTW, just for future reference "turning over" and "cranking" are the same thing. I'm assuming you meant the engine was turning over/cranking just fine, but not catching/starting. Mixing up terminology on an internet forum usually confuses the diagnostic effort.

Check the codes, post them back if you want (or look them up, the list is in the general forum as well as the 210 general stickies), but that's still the best place to start. Some auto parts stores will read them free, including Aamco shops. Be sure to get the actual code, not their summary of what's wrong. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,919 Posts
Greg is right - sounds like classic fuel filter clogging.

When the gas tank is near empty (45 miles to go), there is very little 'net positive suction head' (NPSH) for the fuel pump to work with. If the fuel filter is clogged, then the filter will be sucking at a vacuum and become vapor bound. Run it like that for long and the pump internals will be damaged from overheating. ($400 part for pump, $45 for filter)

When the gas tank is filled, there is a higher column of gas on top of the filter/fuel pump combo. Think of it as increased pressure the farther down a diver goes in a swimming pool. When you filled the tank, you increased NPSH.

Best that you keep the tank 1/2 full until replacing the fuel filter to avoid further pump damage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
I suggest changing the fuel pump and filter. It happened to me 2 months ago on a motorway. My fuel pump just cut itself out without any sign. Also I am trying to avoid visiting the same gas station all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts