Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 slk230/ 2008 Infiniti FX35
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1973 450SL-Drove about 60 miles at 60 to 70MPH and when I exited the highway the car stalled on the exit ramp. Would not start (acted like it was out of gas). Gas guage showed 1/4 tank, but it would not turn over. Got a couple of galons of gas and poured in it and the car started, but would not stay running if i let off the pedal. After a few minutes the engine smoothed out and it ran fine. I continued on to my destination and when i left to return home the car started right up and ran perfect the whole way home (another 60 miles). When I got off the highway the car stalled again and I had to repeat the above scenario to get it home. Now it is running fine again. Help!

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
Fuel pressure OK?

·
Registered
1999 slk230/ 2008 Infiniti FX35
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel pressure seems ok now. And it ran fine for 60 miles there and back.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
Perhaps a thorough fuel system cleaning is in order.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
I have a similar problem with my car. Since most everything in my system has been replaced, I suspect it's the fuel strainer combined with crud floating in the bottom of the tank. When the fuel gets low, the crud is sucked to the strainer. Next thing you know, there's a fuel starvation problem.

Solution? Clean the strainer (and probably the fuel tank)...or keep the fuel level above 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
I think it is best to keep it over a quarter tank because the car doesn't run that well on a low tank, and when the red devil open up his eye to tell you its time for fuel trust it. With more fuel in the tank the fuel pump has a lot to work with. I don't think it is worth trying to clean out the gas tank yourself, sounds like a stinky mess.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,354 Posts
I had a bad EGR valve that caused similar problems. Once the car was hot it acted like a big vacuum leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts