Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently discussing with some manufacturers into making a run of tri Y exhausts in stainless steel for the 500/560 SL.

The idea is to have these manifolds available at prices similar to any American V8s.

I would like to gauge how much interest there could potentially be, as the minimum order quantity would be approximately 50 sets.

If anyone happens to have the approximate dimensions of the tri Y, please post them here, as that would be helpful in getting an approximate quotation.

I'm currently trying to source a set of R107 tri Ys to use as a template, sofar it seems I've located the passenger side; if anyone knows of the driver side let me know.

Due to their size and weight (resulting in high shipping costs) I believe it isn't worth having the downpipes made, as they are relatively simple to make and already available on eBay new for a reasonable sum.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hello S320L1999,

I initially read your post on the W126 subforum, and I hope you do find the missing exhaust manifold.

However, I would also like to inform you, that the Tri-Y's for the W126 and R107 are different. for your reference, I am attaching a picture of my previous W126 (now sold) and that of the R107 (which I have retained).

I hope this helps you out. :smile

Attachments

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Instead of trying to sell a small product run, can you instead release the design files so others can just take this to a site like xeometry for a single run product on an as needed basis?

There's no need to go for batch production on stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am aware that the w126 and w107 are different, this is reason why I moved my post to this forum - but thank you for the pictures.

I am not looking to profit from this, the intention is to make them available at a reasonable price. If this does work out, the manifolds would be purchased directly from the manufacturer, not myself.

I've shared only some preliminary data and pictures sofar, if someone could give me some measurements or a design file then I could get a estimate on cost.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
50 sets will be difficult to sell.

At the high price of $1000 per set, yes. But if you were to make them available under $500, like $350 or something, then you might be able to sell a bunch. You’d want to provide the buyers with instructions on where to get the rest of the setup. I think Timevalve might be able to do all the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
Hello S320L1999,

I initially read your post on the W126 subforum, and I hope you do find the missing exhaust manifold.

However, I would also like to inform you, that the Tri-Y's for the W126 and R107 are different. for your reference, I am attaching a picture of my previous W126 (now sold) and that of the R107 (which I have retained).

I hope this helps you out. :smile

The driver side is noticeably different for sure.

I wonder if the passenger sides could interchange. That would probably require custom parts, not off the shelf parts like timevalve can provide for the 107. (Not sure if they provide w126 parts.)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the high price of $1000 per set, yes. But if you were to make them available under $500, like $350 or something, then you might be able to sell a bunch. You’d want to provide the buyers with instructions on where to get the rest of the setup. I think Timevalve might be able to do all the rest.

I've seen the downpipes are being offered on eBay for €250, however I think these are for the W126. I have no affiliation with them.

Exactly, the idea is that they should be available for under $350. If someone can provide approximate measurements I can get a better estimate.

The material would be 304 stainless.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
I’ve got a set of r107 R107 tri-y from a 500sl currently off the car, and I could get measurements, but I really think there’d be too many to make sure we got them all. I think you really need a 3D model or some actual ones on hand to be copied (if they are going to be as good as the originals).

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve got a set of r107 R107 tri-y from a 500sl currently off the car, and I could get measurements, but I really think there’d be too many to make sure we got them all. I think you really need a 3D model or some actual ones on hand to be copied (if they are going to be as good as the originals).
Hello,

I just need some very general measurements for the purpose of getting an estimate on the cost.

Undoubtedly, the originals will be needed to make the manifolds.

What do you intend on doing with yours?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
Hello,

I just need some very general measurements for the purpose of getting an estimate on the cost.

Undoubtedly, the originals will be needed to make the manifolds.

What do you intend on doing with yours?

They will be going back into the car very soon (if the mechanic hasn’t already).

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This company already makes them. Elbe Engineering
A number is a issues with them, it seems they are having difficulties delivering, there was a member mentioning delays of over 6 months.

Another point, is the cost, the price is significantly higher.

Finally, I've sent 2 emails to which I never received a reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently discussing with some manufacturers into making a run of tri Y exhausts in stainless steel for the 500/560 SL.

The idea is to have these manifolds available at prices similar to any American V8s.

I would like to gauge how much interest there could potentially be, as the minimum order quantity would be approximately 50 sets.

If anyone happens to have the approximate dimensions of the tri Y, please post them here, as that would be helpful in getting an approximate quotation.

I'm currently trying to source a set of R107 tri Ys to use as a template, sofar it seems I've located the passenger side; if anyone knows of the driver side let me know.

Due to their size and weight (resulting in high shipping costs) I believe it isn't worth having the downpipes made, as they are relatively simple to make and already available on eBay new for a reasonable sum.

Hello,

I have a 1973 450SL that I would like a set of tri-y headers for, complete with down pipes.
Would the set you are planning fit my car/engine?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
How much gain are you looking for with Tri-Y Exhaust Headers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts