Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280SL 1982
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 280SL needs a new exhaust. I am wondering about getting a stainless steel system for it but am concerned that it might be noisier than mild steel. I have experience of ss exhausts on other cars having a kind of 'ringing' sound. I have been told that this is because the stainless steel used was of inferior quality and thinner, to save money in manufacturing. Do any members have any experience here please.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300 SL-24
111 Posts
When I bought my 280 SLC it already had a ss exhaust.
It has 2 problems: the sound, it so...

When I bought my 280 SLC it already had a ss exhaust.
It has 2 problems: the sound, it sounds like a Ferrari but the mechanics say it's only a question of the insonorization, and the height. If I'm not very carefull when entering garages or parkings it will touch the ground. But I don't think this will be a problem in a SL.

Jorge
'81 280 SLC

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have installed a stainless steel exhaust on my 500sl. You can choose what sound you li...

I have installed a stainless steel exhaust on my 500sl. You can choose what sound you like. I went for mid sport and it sounds fab. It cost me £880 but is the business. My car is lowered 3 inches and still i only scrape speedbumps. Standard suspension set up will be fine.

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts
Asked the same question at my shop, as I'll eventually need to do something with my 560SL....

Asked the same question at my shop, as I'll eventually need to do something with my 560SL. The response was that the stainless units are slightly throatier, but of course do last very much longer; I'll strongly consider it when the time comes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts