Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C240 Classic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My in-laws live in Germany. Probably the reason I bought a Mercedes. Here is the theory. My father-in-law had a 1987 M3 Bimmer. For the performance car that it was supposed to be it was very dismal! My autobahn shy father-in-law was afraid to drive it over 120 because of a previous automobile accident. My brother-in-law has a theory that the engine stagnates because it is not driven fast enough and this will eventually happen to my C240. Any opinions are welcome

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Hello:

To a certain degree that may be right.

If you never "step on it", the car wi...

Hello:

To a certain degree that may be right.

If you never "step on it", the car will develop into a somewhat "lazy" animal.

Of course, in North America you have no opportunity to drive at high speeds over long stretches of highway (at least it's not recommended if you intend to keep your licence [;)] ). But you can still push the engine somewhat (or not) when accelerating.

However: the 240 is not a performance car in the first place (don't I know it [|)] ) - and it won't become one whatever you do.

·
Registered
2002 C240 Classic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speed only on occasion

Paquito, I like to open up my 240 on rare occasion say 170km/hr. The car is so smooth compared to American models. I don't know if it helps much ,since the highest octane rating you can get here is 91. I sure don't want to get a speeding ticket[:)]

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Re: speed only on occasion

Paquito, I like to open up my 240 on rare occasion say 170km/hr. The car is so smooth compared to American models. I don't know if it helps much ,since the highest octane rating you can get here is 91. I sure don't want to get a speeding ticket[:)]
91 will certainly not give you optimum power (I find that mine runs better on 99 than on 95), but the engine can handle it (otherwise they couldn't sell it in N.A.).

My car ist still relatively new (only 8.000 kms on the counter), and my driving habits (mostly city - very short hauls, rarely a longer stretch on the Autobahn) won't help to make it a performer. But I find that performance HAS increased somewhat over time, and I try to "step on it" now and again, so that it doesn't forget is was born with 170 HP.
[;)]

Also you should keep in mind that the auto tranny (in case you have that) is adaptive: it adapts its shifting habits to your driving style over the last 50 kms or so. So if you want performance when you need it, don't let it fall asleep in everyday life.

·
Registered
2002 C240 Classic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Higher octane a must

Paquito, I have the 6 speed. My wife's friends warned me that mercedes doesn't make a good manual transmission, however I love to shift. After coming from manual Golf,a GTI and a Jeep Cherokee. My c240 is a dream to drive. Mercedes warns owners about not useing anything lower then 91. Benzin still is quite cheap compared to Europe. Someday when I am older and I have time to teach my wife to drive an Automatic. We will probably get an 4matic[:)]

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Re: Higher octane a must

Paquito, I have the 6 speed. My wife's friends warned me that mercedes doesn't make a good manual transmission, however I love to shift. After coming from manual Golf,a GTI and a Jeep Cherokee. My c240 is a dream to drive. Mercedes warns owners about not useing anything lower then 91. Benzin still is quite cheap compared to Europe. Someday when I am older and I have time to teach my wife to drive an Automatic. We will probably get an 4matic[:)]
Hello cold240 (no heater? [;)] ):

If your manual is good, hold on to the car. You were lucky, because the quality of the manual tranny varies widely, and if you happen to hit on a lemon, there's little you can do about it.

I guess your wife will manage the auto very quickly (just tie her left foot to the door handle and her right hand to the steering wheel [:D] ). And the Mercedes auto is probably the best on the market (you can even shift, if you really want to).

You're quite right about the high cost of gas over here (I wish you were wrong ...), which is why you won't see many 240s on our roads (they're guzzlers, by our standards). Most people drive Diesels, at about half the cost per km. But of course that's nowhere near the smooth ride of our snug little kitten.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2002 C240 Classic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
real cold 240 the other night!

It was -28 C. the other night,Paquito!! I'm glad the c240 came with a block heater [:)]. Fortunatly the c240 has a wunderbar heater [8D]. Gas just went up to 79.9 a litre. It was 69.9 a litre. The possible war has been making it fluctuate. That works out to be approximatly 51 euro cents I believe. People in N.A. still drive huge SUV. I find my c240 gets good mileage [not as good as your automatic in city driving]. What hurts is paying for premium gas. Keep warm[:D]

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Re: real cold 240 the other night!

What hurts is paying for premium gas.
At 51 euro cents per litre, I could become a masochist [:D] . It's around 90 over here for premium 95 (I think - the super-premium 99 which I use is over 1 euro, and the car only makes about 6 kms per litre in city driving).

We're not hit by pre-war fuel price increases, though, because it also makes the euro rise against the dollar. And when the war breaks out, the price will fall again.

Plus - distances are much shorter in densely populated Europe, so it probably evens out.

·
Registered
2002 C240 Classic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re; premium gas

You may have high gas prices, but... your road and autobahn systems are so much better! After the winter the frost heaves[ moisture expanding in cracks in the roads] It is really hard on the suspension of cars. Also during winter they put gravel on the roads. Cracked windshields are very common. It scares me how much a replacement windscreen will cost even though I don't have the rain sensor. I have 3M stoneguard on the front hood for protection. The neighbour's extended cab GMC Sierra. On a cheap day costs $60 canadian to fill it's tank[using regular grade 87]It can roll over anything poor road surfaces or VW Golf[:D]This is another reason I drive a Mercedes. Take care cold240

1 - 9 of 9 Posts