Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W208 chassis comes with the staggered setup from the factory but is there really a difference if i upgrade to 225 all around? Thinking about getting a rim and tire package.

Thnks

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,455 Posts
W208 chassis comes with the staggered setup from the factory but is there really a difference if i upgrade to 225 all around? Thinking about getting a rim and tire package.

Thnks
im not sure if the CLK is standard with a staggered set up, I thought it was usually 16" 7J with about 225 width tires? But as for choosing staggered or normal, for me it had to be staggered. More sporty, suites the car and fills the huge void of a gap that our cars have on the rears...

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
In my opinion, staggered makes a big difference in handling. In the past I ran my CLK430 with the smaller 4 wheels all the way around while my larger rears were getting refinished and my CLk handled like a family sedan. Not good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my opinion, staggered makes a big difference in handling. In the past I ran my CLK430 with the smaller 4 wheels all the way around while my larger rears were getting refinished and my CLk handled like a family sedan. Not good.
Hahaha what do you mean handled like a family sedan? Truth is I have 225 all around right now but it's been so long I forgot how it drives staggered.

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
I have a 320 and really don't need the extra traction in the back. I think staggered is more specifically for the 430 & 55, no? The look is cool too. I hope to eventually have 18"x8" all around so I can rotate for even wear. I have vipclks strut bars front and back and will be lowering with Votglands so I don't think wider meat on the back of my car will improve handling but I could be wrong. the CLK has never handled like a sedan.

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
A1, your rear is tipped out at the bottom and it looks like you are getting inside tire wear. Get Mels camber arms. They are on sale

·
Registered
CLK 320 2001
118 Posts
How about these Niche Euro's

I have been looking to change out my wheels and tires for a while; three bent rims from this winters pot holes so timing seems right.

I want to put these Niche Euro's on; they are 19" (smallest they make). Anyone heard of them? Company and my indy shop says they fit the CLK without spacers. I would like to upgrade the shocks, springs and sway bars as the shocks have 108K on them and are ready to go? Any help on what shocks, springs and sway bars from you guys would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 CLK 430 ,Silver/Ash, Daily Driver
366 Posts
Staggered or not !

I have a 1999 430 that came with the staggered wheel and 4 years ago I had bought some regular 320 wheels from a 1998 CLK.. 16x7 , that is what was recomended for the winter wheel (In your door panel ,drivers side).. The car was fugly.. so I added some spacers (20mm) and the beast runs true with no imbalance..Looks better by far...I am in Minnesota and these are my snow wheels.... Otherwise I run the stock AMG wheels in the spring through fall..

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
I don't think they will fit but I would see if you can contact the manufacturer. the center bore has to be 66.6mm I believe. 66.1 means the hole in the center of the hubcentric wheel is too small for the wheel to seat properly to the hub of the w208.

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,455 Posts
A1, your rear is tipped out at the bottom and it looks like you are getting inside tire wear. Get Mels camber arms. They are on sale
I know it looks agrassive on the rear cambre but its an illusion, as the more the wheels stick out the more I think you notice it.! beleive it or not my rears wear perfectly even, if anything I get a little more wear in the middle of the tire as you tend to get that with wide 255's.

·
Registered
CLK-320 Convertible 2005
42 Posts
My recently purchased 2005 CLK-320 cabriolet came with four 17" tires, not staggered.
I found out, after vibrations, that one of the 17" didn't match the other three, and the selling non-MB dealer is replacing it.

They suggested I get all new tires, which I would like to do eventually, and nicer rims, perhaps larger too.

Did the dealership do me wrong by not putting on staggered wheels? Opinions welcome.

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
Did the dealership do me wrong by not putting on staggered wheels? Opinions welcome.
The W208 320 never came with staggered wheels, it came with 205/50/16 all around, only the 430/55 had staggered. I think, not sure, that the 430 staggered was with the AMG appearance package though.

·
Registered
CLK-320 Convertible 2005
42 Posts
Negotiated Okay Deal on Four New Tires

While I didn't want to get new tires now, the fact that the tires on the "new" 2005 CLK-320 cab were all the same 17" and not staggered presented both a problem and an opportunity.

The dealer and I are sharing the cost on new Continental ContiSportContact tires of the recommended sizes, so for $500 I'm getting the four new tires, installation, and balancing. The Michelin tires were quoted at $947 plus tax and fees, so it seems a good compromise.

Thanks for all the ideas and support.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
i have never seen a 430 without the amg kit.
I have never owned one and probably never will now that I have twins on the way :eek:,thought it was an option package.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts