Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front tires on my 500 rub. I'm convinced this weill eventually ruin the tires (the tread blocks are getting gouged), and it's not doing the ears on my spoiler any good either. I'd like to switch back to the 50 series tires that were on the car when I bought it, saving the 55s for the rears. Will this freak out the ABS like it does on my Aztek?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
It may Sam, Yes. Maybe that is the trouble I am having? I think I have 45's on the rear and 55's in the rear. I will have to check. Did you find anything in the B&C manual in the ABS section? You have the actual manual as I recall?

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
I don't think you'll have any issues. I have staggered 245/40/18 in the front and 275/35/18 in the rears with no problems.

What symptoms do you get?

Maybe this will help...I did a search on google for abs staggered wheels and a few things came up.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-58337.html

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
DIMM,
I think you'll find that it has to do with standing wheel height (diameter) and not width. If you make sure you SWH is the same or close you shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
1978 Euro 350SL Lorisner, 73 450SL AMG Clone
1,152 Posts
I have staggered wheels on my SEC and it is fine, no ABS issues, wheels are 16x9 rear with 245/50/16 and 16x7.5 front 225/55/16. and it is great.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
.05 may not be enough discrepancy to trip the error. the diff in 40's to 50's F&R may do it. The tolerance may be that slight. Not saying it is, just that it may be?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I had different HEIGHT tires on my Aztek for a little while, and it COMPLETELY freaked the ABS out. It was obvious why, when I thought about it. The syptoms would be the ABS engaging whenever the brakes are applied. The computer 'sees' the rpm difference between the fronts and rears and assumes that there is a loss of traction. I would imagine that with ASR it would be even worse.

I don't remember the tires EVER rubbing when my car had 50 series on it F and R. Now it catches the outside corners of the tread blocks. I thought about buying narrower tires for the front, but then the sidewalls might get gouged, ruining the tires. I would just buy four more new tires, but that would toss $600 into the trash.

Ok, after a quick trip to tire rack . com for a refresher, 235/50= 117.5mm sidewall height. 235/55=129.25mm sidewall height. Difference of 11.75mm, or .46in (the 50 and 55 is aspect RATIO - something I had forgotten). A half an inch could very well be the difference between rubbing and not rubbing. Huntrtylr - the sidewall height difference between 245/40 (98mm) and 275/35 (96.25mm) is 1.75mm, not much at all.

I need to check the manuals and see what they say about it.

·
Registered
500 sec 32v widebody
205 Posts
Staggered tyre diameter within reason will not effect abs
Have had many secs with way different tyre sizes and never an issue
Tim

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
my 190E AMG has the ASD option and when I had different profile tires on my old set, it activated the ASD at a certain speed. Once I got a new set of tires with same size and profile, problem went away.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
The Sidewall dimension affects the Standing Wheel Height or the Diameter and yes the difference of .46(darn near a 1/2 inch) would affect the ABS,ASD, and ASR IF different on front or rear. The same reason that MB doesn't want you to run a different size spare...just in case you might have to install the spare on the rear. Different SWH on the rear will screw up the differential over time.

Dimm,
I'd go with the lesser height tires and that should fix you right up. That .46 difference would really help.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Timsecwide - how different were they? I'm only asking for clarification so I won't flush $300 (two smaller tires) down the toilet. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts