Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the plug on a 2010 S 350 CDI 4-matic. I've done extensive search on the topics of lowering and staggered wheel set up when you got 4-matic, but I think the info is pointing in every direction. I know from my early days here on this forum when I got a R129 500 SL that this is the place to go for solid info. So what do you guys think in relations to this matter?

Thanks in advance for all feedback!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,874 Posts
The info on this forum and in the W220 forum points in only one direction. Unless all four tires have the same circumference - i.e., unless all four rotate the same number of revolutions per mile - you will tear your 4Matic up. Quickly.

Yes, it is theoretically possible to stagger the wheels if all four have the same revolutions per mile, but you will get the oddest looking setup imaginable - large wheels, thin sidewalls on the rear; smaller wheels, thick sidewalls in front. It is beyond me why anyone would do that.

Essentially, staggered wheels and 4Matic do NOT mix. And yes, I have seen a W220 4Matic spread all over a workshop as they replaced its components because someone would not listen. The result would be the same for a W221.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts