Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 S320
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 built 6/95 When I start the car the SRS light comes on for 2 minutes then goes out. It does the same thing each time. I have home built code reader and have checked the codes coming from pin #30 on the 38 pin connector but it does not give anything on that pin. Any ideas as to the problem and the repair

·
Registered
1995 S320 SWB, 1997 S420 LWB
192 Posts
Thats normal. I have a 95 S320 too. Basically I remember reading somewhere that when you start driving the SRS system is not fully ready yet so the light is to warn you to drive carefully. Something like that. Maybe the experts can chime in.

·
Registered
1995 S 420, 2012 GLK 350 and 1997 Audi Cabrio; Previously 1982 280CE, 1974 450SL, 1974 911S Targa
456 Posts
Thats normal. I have a 95 S320 too. Basically I remember reading somewhere that when you start driving the SRS system is not fully ready yet so the light is to warn you to drive carefully. Something like that. Maybe the experts can chime in.
No, this is not 'normal'. The SRS light should come on with all the other lights, then stay on momentarily, going off within a few seconds. If it stays on a couple of minutes, you have a fault code to address. Read Jim's link (above).

·
Premium Member
1995 S320
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have sprayed electronic cleaner in the drivers seat belt buckel female conector. That didn't work. I have a parts car that is a 99, and I removed the drivers buckel and pulged it in to this car but same thing with the light. What options do I have on resetting the fault codes on the SRS

·
Registered
1995 S 420, 2012 GLK 350 and 1997 Audi Cabrio; Previously 1982 280CE, 1974 450SL, 1974 911S Targa
456 Posts
i have sprayed electronic cleaner in the drivers seat belt buckel female conector. That didn't work. I have a parts car that is a 99, and I removed the drivers buckel and pulged it in to this car but same thing with the light. What options do I have on resetting the fault codes on the SRS
Cleaning the switch ISN'T going to reset the SRS light. You're going to have to go to a shop with a star reader to read the fault code and reset it. CHECK the code; if it indicates the seat buckle switch was the fault, it's a good chance the SRS light will stay off.

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,616 Posts
read this:

The SRS malfunction indicator lamp (A1e15) indicates the readiness of the supplemental restraint system.

If the system is free of faults, the malfunction indicator lamp comes on from position "1" of the ignition/starter or glow/starter switch and goes out again after approx. 4 to 20 seconds .

If the malfunction indicator lamp does not come on from position "1", or does not go out after 4 to 20 seconds , there is a defect or a fault in the supplemental restraint system.

Defects or faults which do not jeopardize the protection of the occupants, are indicated by the malfunction indicator lamp coming on and remaining on for approximately 2 minutes , from position 1 of the ignition/starter or glow/starter switch.

Faults or defects which may result in the safety elements not being activated or being incorrectly activated, are indicated when driving by the malfunction indicator lamp coming on and remaining on.

NOTE In the event of a fault or defect, the entire system should be checked immediately with the HHT. The mechanical protective function of the three-point seat belts is not affected by a fault or a defect in the supplemental restraint system and is always retained.

·
Registered
95 S320 - Polar white; 95 S600 - Black Pearl
294 Posts
I have a 95 built 6/95 When I start the car the SRS light comes on for 2 minutes then goes out. It does the same thing each time. I have home built code reader and have checked the codes coming from pin #30 on the 38 pin connector but it does not give anything on that pin. Any ideas as to the problem and the repair
Getmore:

The diagnostic error codes are composed of both led flashing lights (known as analog signals) and digital readouts (known as digital codes). In the case of SRS failures, the code is digital .It was changed to a digital format beginning with model year 1994. An LED code reader will not work to output the SRS error code on your 95 model.

You will need to go to a dealer or an indie with the proper software to read the code.

Good luck

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts