Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2001 E320 which developed a strange foible. when there is a passenger in the front passenger seat, the car is fine, but when I am driving around by myself, with no passenger, the SRS light on the dash turns on and the "Airbag Off" light on the center console turns on. as soon as anyone sits in the seat, the light turns back off, as does the SRS light on the dash. considering the problem only occurs when there's no one in the front passenger seat, should I be concerned? does the SRS light being on mean *none* of the airbags would be deployed? or does it simply mean there is a fault in the system and just the passenger airbag won't go off? Also, does anyone know how much something like that might cost to fix?

TIA

·
Registered
1997 E420 Sport
262 Posts
In many european cars you can desactivate the passenger airbag to use a children´s chair.
I don´t know if the 2001 model has this feature, but it sounds like the air bag is "off", no that there is a malfunction. Anyway, someone who knows this year model better could answer.
Check the manual and see if there´s a way to turn it off and on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i believe the only way to turn it off is if you have the mercedes benz baby seat which somehow will deactivate it. owners manual will better explain...

·
Registered
r107, r129, w198, w123, w124, w210
116 Posts
the same thing happened in my 99 E300 the Srs light kept flashing on and off for no reason. I thought that it had something to do with my portable DVD player next to the seat. I removed it and the SRS light never came on again. I agree its annoying to see that SRS light flash on the dash every so often, maybe there is something in close proxmity to the seat that is setting it off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same car, same problem. It is most likely the sensor in the seat for the child seat. it cost a small fortune to repair it approx 1000€ at Stealership.
It is a very common problem. All models 2000-2003 rust also very much, check rubberlists around doors etc..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts