Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the drivers door window receiver and motor. While I was aligning the glass i had the airbag disconnected and the car on.

On course now I've discovered that it kicks on the SRS light when you do that.:mad:

Does anyone kow of an inexpensive tool that will reset this light on a 2003 SL-500?

It's all hooked up correctly and nothing else is wrong I'm sure.

Please provide a link if possible.

Thanks-GB

·
Registered
11 Mustang Convert,.87 El Camino,09 Avalon Limited,05 GMC Sierra Denali, hunting AMG car.
224 Posts
I just replaced the drivers door window receiver and motor. While I was aligning the glass i had the airbag disconnected and the car on.

On course now I've discovered that it kicks on the SRS light when you do that.:mad:

Does anyone kow of an inexpensive tool that will reset this light on a 2003 SL-500?

It's all hooked up correctly and nothing else is wrong I'm sure.

Please provide a link if possible.

Thanks-GB
Turning the steering wheel stop to stop a couple of times will clear some abc reminders after battery disconnect. Try this if you haven't already. Luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked a local Indy into resetting it. He was hoping the light would not stay off but it did. Only took him 5 minutes or less.

Never start that car with an airbag disconnected....lesson learned.:D

·
Registered
2009 SL63 AMG
95 Posts
I talked a local Indy into resetting it. He was hoping the light would not stay off but it did. Only took him 5 minutes or less.

Never start that car with an airbag disconnected....lesson learned.:D
I am not sure about a SRS light, but a Good ODB Scan tool that you can pick up at an Autozone will reset engine light if a code is tipped. I know because I got a "bank1 running Lean" error and was able to reset.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 SL550
40 Posts
So, I am having this problem. At the end of the day; I really do not want to buy a $1700 solution; like: Complete Star System - SD CONNECT C5 Xentry Diagnostic Mercedes 2017.9 Latest | eBay

Where can I get something under 500 that can do a decent job. Or am I SOL and just need to take it to a pro shop?

Would like something to pull codes and reset / clear any codes. As I added an audio device to my 2007 and the my SRS light came on.

Thanks,
Tamer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Scan tool - not Star System

Tamer,

Take a look at the iCarSoft scanners specifically for Benz. I have the i980 ($114 on Amazon) and love it, I believe the MB II ($150 on Amazon) is even better.

I'm not sure it will reset SRS but it does read and reset many of the Mercedes specific systems & codes.

Since I bought my SL I always suspected a problem with the climate control on automatic. It seemed to run away with itself and over cool on very hot days. I couldn't recreate for my indie and nobody here could help. Using the i980 I found a code coming from the overhead panel. I posted the code here and Rodney advised that a thermistor in the overhead had broken and needed replacement. He also pointed me at a thread with instructions and pictures. A new thermistor cost me less than $1 and the auto climate controls now work as expected.

I leave the Star System to my indie, but the iCarSoft has made me better informed about the car and made it much easier to work with my indie to diagnose and solve problems.

Gary

·
Registered
2007 SL550
40 Posts
Thank you very much. I will go ahead and get the MB II. Thank you so much. Now on a side note; have you ever used a wifi running diagnostic to phone display. They are sort of a novelty to use; but I have an old iPhone that I use for music in my car and was thinking of getting one of those? Any recommendations?

Something like: https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Scanner-Adapter-Diagnostic-Android/dp/B00W0SDLRY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507271838&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+car+diagnostic+tool&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

I will see how much I fair with the iCarsoft MBII which is nice to have around anyway.

But I doubt I can afford a really expensive scanner or even if it is worth it at $900+ for the star equipment I saw.

I will report back on my luck with resetting the SRS with MBII iCarSoft scanner; although, I am not totally hopeful.

Guess a quick garage visit will be in order soon.

Again, thank all for the help and info.

Thanks,
Tamer

·
Registered
14 Posts
The wireless interface is a generic OBD interface, it will not read and reset all the MBZ specific codes that are vital to understanding this car.

The i980 will give you real time readouts of actual values as well as reading and resetting codes. The port is under the dash and the i980 cable long enough that you can plug it in, drive and read values. I'm assuming the MB II will do the same. Driving an SL while looking at a small screen on a scanner or a phone is probably not the smartest idea IMHO ;-)

Based on the results of a quick Google search others have successfully used the iCarsoft to reset SRS.

Gary

·
Registered
2007 SL550
40 Posts
NiceMerc:

I am waiting on a delivery of a MBII iCarSoft scanner. I was just thinking for something that is generic to use for info while driving the car. Just for fun and additional info above and beyond speed and RPM. Just looking for something fun to play with; nothing really a true scanner as I will use the iCarSoft MBII for that while parked.

Thanks,
Tamer

·
Registered
2007 SL550
40 Posts
Issue resolved with iCarsoft MBII

Hello all;

Just writing back to report. I was able to use the iCarsoft MBII (purchased from amazon for about $150) was able to pull all codes and I was able to rest the SRS error. Everything working perfectly since.

Thanks for all your help,
T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.