Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the front driver's seat to clean a nasty stain in the carpet and when I put everything back together, I was left with a SRS light that stays on for two minutes after the engine starts then turns off.

I tried reading codes with a Snap-On Solus Ultra but it kept saying check connection. Only codes the car would let me read were engine related.

It did "recommend" to use an under hood connector near the strut tower? I was using OBD. I've used this same scanner on my 01 and never had any weird prompts.

Any ideas? I can't recall if I pulled the battery when I removed the seat but didn't think I had any airbag issues to deal with....dumb me?

Thanks all

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,205 Posts
On a W140 with an OBD II connector, it only reads engine and some other minor codes that are engine related. All other systems have to be accessed by the 38 pin connector under the hood, including SRS. You have to use a Mercedes STAR diagnostic system, or some other system able to access the systems on that connector.

Jon

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info, thank you for the update. Googling shows an Autel might be a good/affordable option.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Don't bet on the Autel. I don't know of any modern scanner that can read most systems in the W140, other than the Mercedes STAR system. Read this thread.

Jon

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
725 Posts
I'll second what JAL just stated...have researched the Snap-On scanners to a great extent, and NONE of them, even the most modern, will do all the W140 modules. What you end up with is LH modules, dist. ignition modules, diagnostic module, airbags, and electronic transmission module, for a W140. You "may" see other modules on the menu list with a Branx X scanner when connected to the car, but won't be able to communicate with them. In my own case '94 S600C, can also access the HVAC module with the heater/ac controls, and the base module with the blinker light/button under the hood. That's it. 9 modules in all if you're lucky on a W140 V12, and 7 modules with a V8 or other engine, without the proprietary HHT or Star MB scanner/laptop setups. No Egas, no base module, no HVAC even though it's listed on the menu with the latest Snap-On 2003 cartridge. that will only work on later models of MB cars, post-W140 is my gut intuition.
I believe it's because AT THE TIME, in the 1990's, MB was releasing a minimal amount of software code to the aftermarket, just enough to do the engine, airbags as critical, so as to not completely monopolize the service market. they wanted you to bring your new W140 to the dealership, and releasing all that code would detract from dealer service and warranty business.
the only way to know for sure would be buy every Brand X scanner and try it. FWIW, I've gone to their webpage and actually keyed in my car into their search page, and the number of modules accessible with the very latest, very pricey (several $1000's) Snap-On scanner, is the same as my old $300 MT2500 used on Ebay.

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
299 Posts
NONE of them, even the most modern, will do all the W140 modules. What you end up with is LH modules, dist. ignition modules, diagnostic module, airbags, and electronic transmission module, for a W140. You "may" see other modules on the menu list with a Branx X scanner when connected to the car, but won't be able to communicate with them. In my own case '94 S600C, can also access the HVAC module with the heater/ac controls, and the base module with the blinker light/button under the hood. That's it. 9 modules in all if you're lucky on a W140 V12, and 7 modules with a V8 or other engine, without the proprietary HHT or Star MB scanner/laptop setups. No Egas, no base module, no HVAC even though it's listed on the menu with the latest Snap-On 2003 cartridge. that will only work on later models of MB cars, post-W140 is my gut intuition.
Please recognize the not all w140s are the same. The later models (MY 96+) with the ME managennt system don't have LH, EGAS, EZLs, etc.

Many aftermarket scanners work for the engine and transmission through the OBD-II port. Yes, this includes live data.

The OP has a newer Benz!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Please recognize the not all w140s are the same. The later models (MY 96+) with the ME managennt system don't have LH, EGAS, EZLs, etc.

Many aftermarket scanners work for the engine and transmission through the OBD-II port. Yes, this includes live data.

The OP has a newer Benz!
Yes, but his trouble is with the SRS. It can't be read thru the OBDII port. It has to be read thru the 38 pin. What modern scanner can read all codes and live data of a late model 140, or even just the SRS?

Jon

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The Foxwell scanner discussed in the other thread says it tests airbags from 91 to 98 in the W140. That's a small part of the SRS. Whether it does the whole system or not is unknown. However the guy who bought one said it didn't read anything but two modules in his early car, and airbags/SRS wasn't one of them, even though it was supposed to read them.

Jon

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
299 Posts
What modern scanner can read all codes and live data of a late model 140, or even just the SRS?
Didn't my language in post #6 make it clear that live data applies to "engine and transmission"
As everyone can see in the thread you referenced in post #4, I am in the group that worships the MB Gods through the SDS and believe that if one serious about DIY-ing on a w140, a Star system is a must.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Didn't my language in post #6 make it clear that live data applies to "engine and transmission"
As everyone can see in the thread you referenced in post #4, I am in the group that worships the MB Gods through the SDS and believe that if one serious about DIY-ing on a w140, a Star system is a must.
Sorry if I came off harsh, didn't mean to. He said he could read the engine codes with his existing scanner. I was just trying to point out that he was interested in the SRS.

If there is a current, aftermarket scanner that can read all codes and applicable live data from all late model modules, I'd like to hear about it. Having a half assed OBDII port and the 38 pin port really confuses things, especially for newbies.

Of course if you want to see a really messed up diagnostic system, watch this video by the car Wizard on trying to diagnose a Lamborgini. Makes the W140 look simple!

Jon

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
725 Posts
TIMECAP- if there's no LH, dist modules, then there should be an ME module, no ?
it's just another form of injection module, if you have live data, it's from a module, period.
some sort of module.
my snap-on covers engine and transmission as well as stated, but then you find out later that doesn't include some modules anyway related to the engine/transmission depending on year.
you really don't know what a scanner covers until it's plugged into the car.

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh man not the car wizard! At least get the guy in the MB labcoat :LOL:

I think this may be the best time to get SDS. I kept putting it off with the 163 and told myself if I ever got another Benz I would invest in the STAR system. Now that I need to get this SRS light read/fixed on the 320 as well as bleed the brakes on the M that's at least $200 I'm giving to someone else. If the Chinese knockoffs are that cheap then I mat just pull the trigger.

I will reimburse myself with the gov't money coming :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts