Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ML 350
17 Posts
Can you read the vehicle information after you select Benz ?
Have you tried scanning any other vehicle with the Creader scanner you have ?
Have you tried scanning with the Engine started ?
I believe you need to sort the scanner issue out first. You should be able to access the ECU first and any other module after that. You said you cleared the Airbag codes and they came back ? How did you do that ? Or did I misunderstand ?
Yes I tried with engine running. Same result
Tried on Toyota Prius and was able to read sea faults (none) but when I tried another function on the Toyota. I got the ECU communication error. Maybe it’s the scanner. My son has 2003 ml so I’ll try it on that one this weekend. Do you think the airbag faults to ground and to positive could be clock spring or airbag. Is there a way to test airbag without activating it and creating more problems?

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
8,191 Posts
You need to remove the airbag and its connectors at the clock spring. You also need to remove the connector at the airbag module (N2/7). So you will have the clockspring, and wiring to X18 connector and to the airbag module connector (removed). You check the resistance to ground and 12V on each connector pin, one by one. The resistance values to ground and 12V should be more than 20 K Ohms. If less in any of the pins, then you need to disconnect the clock spring from the other end that goes to X18 connector to see if the short is removed. If so, then the clock spring has a short to ground. Else it is somewhere else.

The passenger airbag squib test reports a 12V short. The driver and the passenger airbags are connected to the airbag module through the X18 connector. maybe there are some wires contacting in the harness.

Personally, I do not see how one of the lines in the flat ribbon of the clock spring is touching to another, but the ribbon cable may be worn out and touching some ground in the enclosure, maybe .

·
Registered
2005 ML 350
17 Posts
You need to remove the airbag and its connectors at the clock spring. You also need to remove the connector at the airbag module (N2/7). So you will have the clockspring, and wiring to X18 connector and to the airbag module connector (removed). You check the resistance to ground and 12V on each connector pin, one by one. The resistance values to ground and 12V should be more than 20 K Ohms. If less in any of the pins, then you need to disconnect the clock spring from the other end that goes to X18 connector to see if the short is removed. If so, then the clock spring has a short to ground. Else it is somewhere else.

The passenger airbag squib test reports a 12V short. The driver and the passenger airbags are connected to the airbag module through the X18 connector. maybe there are some wires contacting in the harness.

Personally, I do not see how one of the lines in the flat ribbon of the clock spring is touching to another, but the ribbon cable may be worn out and touching some ground in the enclosure, maybe .

·
Registered
2005 ML 350
17 Posts
thank you so much for your time and insight. I decided to try another scanner and found the German auto shoppe in Littleton Colorado has a very expensive scanner and they were able to reset in 2 minutes. Once the codes are in the SRS module my scanner couldn’t communicate to reset them. I’m so glad I don’t have any more failed components. I think he said like 20 grand for the hand held scanner about the size of a thick iPad. Whew another bullet dodged.
Thanks again
Scott

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
8,191 Posts
Thanks for reporting back. I am glad you didn't have to deal with the airbag and clock spring again.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts