Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing the blend air motor I neglected to disconnect ml320 battery. This required removing passenger air bag. Now srs light is on. Folks have mentioned that this requires trip to dealer to reset. Does any know if they use obd2 scanner to reset or some other tool?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
12,204 Posts
No, you cannot reset SRS warning using OBDII scanner. There are few tools that will do it but their price exceeds value of your truck. Any independent shop that works on MB will do it for you. Free of charge if you are nice and explain what happened.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
No, you cannot reset SRS warning using OBDII scanner. There are few tools that will do it but their price exceeds value of your truck. Any independent shop that works on MB will do it for you. Free of charge if you are nice and explain what happened.
Requires a STAR system to reset. Dealers all have them but few independents have them. Keep in mind that there may be a problem with the SRS that could have been caused by your repair. My take is dealer is best bet but few will do it at N/C.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
My local NY Mercedes dealer told me with a straight face that they need to hook up their computer for 1 1/2 hours and $175 to reset the SRS light. Does it take more than 10 seconds?

I am looking for an alternative.
The actual reset time is brief, but they do have to do a diagnosis to be sure there isn't something else wrong. After all, if they just cleared it and you got in an accident and the airbag didn't deploy, they'd have some liability there.

I know it sucks and it's an expensive lesson to learn, but hopefully others will learn from your foibles and not repeat those mistakes (check my sig...)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic Capri Blue Metalic w/ Almond interior
104 Posts
I had the infamous SRS light just pop on a while back - I took it to the dealer and they were very cool. They said it was just some gunk had gotten into the seat belt clasp and triggered the code once. They disassembled it, cleaned it and reset the code for 1/2 hour labor. Hell, they fixed that, did my state inspection, did the new power stearing hose recall, re-calibrated my vents' motors, and even washed it - all for under 150.00. Now you know why i drive to the dealership 1 hour away instead of the one 5 miles from my house

·
Registered
1 Posts
SRS Light RESET

I have a 2000 ML320. SRS light came on one day. After researching what everone said, I decided to inspect the airbag on my steering wheel. This was a mistake because you cannot disconnect the wire harness from the column to the airbag to check for faulty wiring. You can unplug the wire from the airbag, by carefully pulling the plug. You need an allen wrench to remove the two screws on the back of the steering wheel to remove the front cover. BUT DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.

I took it to the dealer, and the mechanic explained that there are a whole host of sensors for the SRS light to come on. That is why they have to use a special scanner to diagnose where the problem exists. By tampering with the front airbag, the mechanic got two fault codes. One for the airbag on my steering wheel, another on my passenger rear door. He was puzzled why two fault codes came out, and I had to explain to him that I tampered with the steering bag. He laughed and just repaired the sensor on the door. He said it was just the wiring harness that attaches to the sensor that costs about $20 to repair. But with labor, parts and reset it costed me almost $200. With Transmission flush (almost $500), free car wash, and SRS job, with a 15% off coupon, I paid about $670. Not bad.

Bottom line is, if the SRS light comes on, just take it to the dealer. Let them find out what the problem is, and you decide if it is worth fixing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.