Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CLK500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 300 miles trip the SRS light came on a few times and then disappeared again. Most if the time there were no one in the passenger seat. I had the car washed and vacuumed 2 days before. I have had the same problem a few years back where the SRS light came up a few times but the problem went away by itself

I have read a ton of posts and it seems like there are different opinions. Some people say if the SRS light come on and off randomly it can only be the sensor pad as other errors would make the SRS light stay on until the code is cleared, where others are stating the light will go off when the problem is fixed and intermittent light on could be a bad connector or a pinched wire.

How often does the SRS system "check"? I moved the sear back and forth a bit and then a minute or two later the light went off. Was that a coincidence or does it only check if the error has been fixed with a certain interval?

If I disconnect the wires under the seat and clean the connectors, do I run a risk of that logging an error code and then I have to have the SRS light reset via Star?

Can I check if there are any codes logged with a generic ELM327?

I would appreciate any guidance.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,248 Posts
I believe that if the passenger seat sensor's reading changes while driving, it will trigger the SRS light, but it's just as an FYI, not an "error". If there was nothing (or no one) in the seat, then you could be looking at a defective sensor. You can certainly check and clean the contacts with no worries as long as the ignition is switched off. As for your scanner, if it cost less than $150, I doubt it can read/reset SRS errors.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,376 Posts
I had the car washed and vacuumed 2 days before. I have had the same problem a few years back where the SRS light came up a few times but the problem went away by itself.
It wouldn't surprise me if the cleaner moved the front seats full forwards and back, which might have exposed a near-broken wire in the looms under the seats. Check it out.

·
Registered
2005 CLK500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that if the passenger seat sensor's reading changes while driving, it will trigger the SRS light, but it's just as an FYI, not an "error". If there was nothing (or no one) in the seat, then you could be looking at a defective sensor. You can certainly check and clean the contacts with no worries as long as the ignition is switched off. As for your scanner, if it cost less than $150, I doubt it can read/reset SRS errors.
The cluster said "restraint system service" wile the SRS light was on - does that change anything? sorry for not being specific in the first place.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,248 Posts
My understanding is that 99% of all SRS faults are "permanent", meaning you have to get them diagnosed and reset via Star Diagnosis. I think the only one that is not permanent may be the passenger weight sensor giving erroneous readings while driving. I believe I have seen this before in my car when I had my granddaughter in the passenger seat and she was jumping around to talk to her friend in the back seat.

·
Registered
2005 CLK500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding is that 99% of all SRS faults are "permanent", meaning you have to get them diagnosed and reset via Star Diagnosis. I think the only one that is not permanent may be the passenger weight sensor giving erroneous readings while driving. I believe I have seen this before in my car when I had my granddaughter in the passenger seat and she was jumping around to talk to her friend in the back seat.

It seems like there is a pattern. Even if the SRS is on, it goes off if someone sits in the seat the SRS and everything seems normal. The SRS only seems to go on when the seat is empty. If that rule holds I think I am going to wait until after the convertible season to take the seat apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts