Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents I need your help. the SRS warning light on my dash turned on after I had my seats reupholstered. According to the company that did the reupholstering all the wires were properly reinstalled.

What could be the issue? What can I do to fix it? How can I remove this warning?

Thank you in advance.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
One of the wires that run into your seatbelt buckles could still be disconnected. They had to do this to remove the seats. I hope they didn't break any.

The SRS module won't fire the seatbelt pre-tensioner if the belt is undone, or if it can't tell. A disconnected seatbelt buckle wire will light up the SRS warning.

Check all 4 wires in the front and 2nd rows.

If the wires are all good, the other possibility is a problem with one of the front passenger sensors, caused by the re-upholstering. There are separate sensors for seat occupancy and the presence of a child-safety seat. Disconnection or damage to one of these can also cause an SRS error state.

Edit: Some of the advice in posts below may be inaccurate. The SRS performs a self-test at every start; the warning light will go out in 4 sec if everything is ok. You should be able to resolve this without visiting the upholsterer or a workshop, unless there is damage. (There will be a code stored in your computer but the warning light will go out.)

One buckle or sensor error will not disable the whole system. Your airbags and belt pre-tensioners will still go off in a collision. Only the affected belt will not fire.

If anyone disbelieves me, you can try it out on your own ML.

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
If the ignition was turned on while the srs seat connections were unplugged the warning light on the dash will be activated and the srs system will be disabled until the light is cleared by either star or a generic code reader.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
you need to take it to a star diagnostic to clear the light and read the codes probably they didnt disconnect the battery while they were working or a wire is disconnected or not fully plugged in check all the connections if they are plugged in.

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
Whenever the ignition is turned on, the srs system performs a self-test and if a fault is detected (such as disconnected wires) the system disables itself until such times the 'fault' is rectified and the codes cleared from the ecu.

Its highly likely, imo, that while your seats were removed, or disconnected, the ignition was turned on ie... to move the vehicle, play the radio, lower a window, etc, etc.

I would return to the upholsterer and request that they arrange to extinguish the light at their expense.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,122 Posts
If it is just a result of the ignition being turned on while the seat was out of the truck
a pro grade scan tool like the Snap-On Solus can reset the SRS light. There are only a
few scan tools that can do it and they start at $3000 so finding a shop that can do it
is the key. Lots of body shops can do it because they have to do it after a collision when
an airbag or seat belt pre-tensioner was deployed.
I also agree that the shop that did it should make it right. Upholsterers usually know and
work with body shops so the shop may very well know a place that they can send you to
and have them pick up the tab.
It is a 5 minute procedure.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
It does !!
Strange.

I have replaced both the battery and the negative cable (same as disconnecting the battery). No SRS. As long as ignition is off, the SRS won't be doing a test and finding any fault.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,122 Posts
It does !!
I am not saying "your" SRS light is not coming on. It is something with your truck that most others have not had happen.
My reply should have said it should not throw the SRS light when doing a routine battery change.

·
Registered
w124 400E x R129 w210
429 Posts
I suppose the key word there is "routine".
I connected and disconnected the battery several times as I was changing the voltage regulator.
I was trying a couple of used ones I had, just to get me going until a new one arrived.
It may be the number of times the battery was cycled on/off....or it could be a "G" sensor was affected by the voltage spike on the VR.....like my transmission was.
I'll get it cleared at some point and figure out what it was.
Maybe there is a bad sensor...!

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
I had a similar issue. I removed the rear seats in the ML for moving. The SRS light has been on. I haven't yet reinstalled - but I am guessing it's the wires discussed that caused the issue.

Thanks for the info. I will update when I reinstall the seats.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
Gents I need your help. the SRS warning light on my dash turned on after I had my seats reupholstered. According to the company that did the reupholstering all the wires were properly reinstalled.

What could be the issue? What can I do to fix it? How can I remove this warning?

Thank you in advance.
The occupancy sensor was affected by the reupholstering.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
13 Posts
Had/still have same SRS and ESP/BAS problem

After changing several (basically all related fuses) the SRS light became a dull annoyance. The dealership said that it's a pressure sensor for a lighter weight seat such as that of a child and would be in the ballpark of $700-$800 to fix since they have to disasemble the entire seat and replace the sensor pad. I don't have kids, nor do I want them, and honestly could care less if my friends are too ignorant to buckle up...their prerogative have a nice flight. However the other day I did a little investigating and found 2 outlet wires that were disconnected. Fauly wiring maybe??? Due to the angle it was next to impossible to line it up for reinstertion. Going to my trusy mechanic tomorrow to figure out which speed sensor is causing the lovely goldenrod ESP/BAS light just for attention (way cheaper and more reasonable than just getting all 4 done at once). Oddly once the light is on for a consistent amount of time, the problem subsides. Anyhow I'll et ya know how it goes kids. I remember reading that the ML series expecially had a susepibiltiy for debris entering the sensor and creating a false that the wheel wasn't rotating at the proper speed. This forum has saved me much time and money so anything I can do to help others is more than my pleasure...Happy Benzing kiddos! :)

PS...after a fuse change and the new battery the trip computer was flashing "off" and "on" then went to an odd "17:18" reading for a day or 2. Assuming the LEDs work just maybe a faulty connection?? I'm open to ideas so shoot away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts