Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and searched...no luck. Last resort...a new thread.

Can anyone tell me where I can locate the Air Bag Control Module on my 2005 E320 CDI? I need to replace it. Dealer told me the control unit in the car is not the correct model for the car.

Under the driver seat?

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Searched and searched...no luck. Last resort...a new thread.

Can anyone tell me where I can locate the Air Bag Control Module on my 2005 E320 CDI? I need to replace it. Dealer told me the control unit in the car is not the correct model for the car.

Under the driver seat?
No, under the ashtray.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
I can't get to WIS or Alldata right now.
You remove the ashtray. Disconnect the electrical supply to the ashtray.
Then unscrew the two screws that you see where the front of the ashtray was covering. With those
screws removed you can remove that cover piece and the control module will be staring you in the face.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...again more info...

Thanks Noodles. Amazing how much I've searched for info with no luck...and now it comes flooding in.

Another resource...which appears to verify your instructions:

Welcome to the W211 E- Class!

Pretty sure this will help future benzworld users!

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
Just so you know you do not have to totally remove the shifter/lever.

Just move it back all the way to "D". You will have plenty of room to complete the task.

Last note, a dealer with the Star system will have to code the module to your car and clear the hard codes stored.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...another Q...

Thanks for the heads up. One dealer told me the existing SRS Control Module was the wrong unit for the car. Is it possible the unit had been installed, but need re-coded and/or had the faults cleared?

I'm wondering if the unit is good, just not "married" to my vehicle yet. I bought the car with the SRS light on...

Just so you know you do not have to totally remove the shifter/lever.

Just move it back all the way to "D". You will have plenty of room to complete the task.

Last note, a dealer with the Star system will have to code the module to your car and clear the hard codes stored.

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
Not really sure because I have never come across one that was dubbed as wrong for the car.
If the previous owner had a used one put in after an airbag deployment then that is most likely
where the problem started. If the car was never in a collision then I have no clue as how the wrong
one was put in. People do sell used ones and indie techs install them with no real knowledge of
how they have to be installed and that they were married to another car.
Once new correct one is installed it does get married to the car's VIN when the dealer codes it in.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Can they be moved from one car to another? Or do they have to be new, and not previously in another car?

Not really sure because I have never come across one that was dubbed as wrong for the car.
If the previous owner had a used one put in after an airbag deployment then that is most likely
where the problem started. If the car was never in a collision then I have no clue as how the wrong
one was put in. People do sell used ones and indie techs install them with no real knowledge of
how they have to be installed and that they were married to another car.
Once new correct one is installed it does get married to the car's VIN when the dealer codes it in.

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
MB says they have to be new. There are a couple of companies I see around that claim to be able to reset them. I have not tried them and do not know if their service works. They charge $75-$100 for the service.

When you get the get the old one out post the part # on it and we will know if it is indeed incorrect.
If it is then sending it in to be reset to "new" condition would be moot because the SRS system would
still see it as wrong for the car.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes sense. I'll pull the part and follow up. Meanwhile, I'm leaning towards getting a new one...as opposed to the one I found on eBay.

Know of any sources for new ones, besides the dealer?

Your knowledge is immensely appreciated! I'm new to the Benz family...

MB says they have to be new. There are a couple of companies I see around that claim to be able to reset them. I have not tried them and do not know if their service works. They charge $75-$100 for the service.

When you get the get the old one out post the part # on it and we will know if it is indeed incorrect.
If it is then sending it in to be reset to "new" condition would be moot because the SRS system would
still see it as wrong for the car.

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
If the one on ebay does not say it has been reset to new then I would not get it.
Parts.com has them for $355. The dealer will want about $500.

·
Premium Member
2005 e320 CDI
4 Posts
They do not get married to that car, they can be reused in other vehicles with the same part, just need to be reprogrammed. I just did it with my 2006 E320 CDI.

·
Premium Member
2005 e320 CDI
4 Posts
w211 control module new or used

Can they be moved from one car to another? Or do they have to be new, and not previously in another car?
I just put a used one in my 2006 E320 CDI in the US. Had it coded and all codes are now gone and no more SRS red light on dash. I just got one of same era and part #. Good Luck Save Money

1 - 14 of 14 Posts