Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 ml had rotors & break pads replaced 6 month ago ,i just had rotors turned& new pads, this thing is still freakin squeeling & is this a comon problem with these mercedes brakes , very disapointed

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
This is common on the V8's not the V6's. You did not note your model. Rotors should NOT be turned per MB. This could throw off lots of stuff. There is a new part number pad for the V8's which will minimize the squeal but not eliminte it particularly in cold weather.At this point I would replace the rotors (you probably screwed them up) and pads. Be sure to use the MB anti squeal paste when reassembling.Also learn how to spell SQUEALING.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,262 Posts
Rotors should NOT be turned per MB. This could throw off lots of stuff.
I’m not sure what it would “throw off�, but there is really no reason to turn rotors unless they are warped, in which case it’s really better to replace them. Instead of having them turned, what you might want to do is "knock them down". This is basically sanding the rotor surface to knock the shine off. It’s easiest to do with a power (electric or pneumatic) sander and rough-grit emery paper. The objective is not to get rid of the grooves in the rotor (like turning would do), but only to get rid of the shine. Shiny rotors combined with new pads that have not yet seated to the groove pattern on the rotors will cause excessive heat to be reflected back onto the new pads and can cause them to crystallize.

- RODNEY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts