Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings all
My 2000 E430 has an annoying squeek, passenger rear wheel well. I removed the tire, sprayed every bushing, fitting, moving part I could see with silicone. No difference at all. Any idea what I'm looking at here? Worn out bushings?
When this squeaking happened on my 1970 Datsun 240Z (bought new), I put some brake fluid in a small plunger oil can (I think they still make them) and squirted brake fluid on the rubber bushings. I think all dealers did this in the 60's and 70's.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic 142,000 miles
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think its time for new bushings possible control arm
I think you are right! I replaced the sway bar links, no change. Outer bush on order, local shop will replace. Hope its not the inner bush as that requires replacing LCA because inner bush is pressed into it. Thanks all for your expertise! Will keep you posted.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,957 Posts
You can press out and press in new bushings...

·
Registered
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2002 E430
17 Posts
How about have your Indy inspect it and put a pry bar on the components first before playing parts darts?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Loden,

What what is worth:
I just resolved my PS squeaky rear suspension issue on the w163. Recently installed rear coil-overs, new poly links and poly bushings for the swaybar. Irritating squeak emanating from the ps rear suspension. It was the shock itself and I had to loosen the lower shock bolt and turn the shock body cw 1/4 turn to get rid of this squeak. So far so good.
If it acts up again, I'll return it for a replacement.

Check your shock body/piston too.

(It was a 2-man job to isolate the location using feel (vibration) and stethoscope. Took off the rear ps wheel - 3ton jack supported on the lower arm at the same neutral wheel level. One person bouncing on the rear step bar and me at the wheel well, listening and feeling for where the squeak was originating from.)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Finally got it open. I have no idea what chip I have. Can you tell if it’s stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Finally got it open. I have no idea what chip I have. Can you tell if it’s stock?

??
rufrob,
Posting error? wrong thread?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,957 Posts
lol that's a old ass PCB design. Those two processors haven't been in vogue in like 30 years. What did this one came out of?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was considering some performance chips for my stock 86- 944 turbo. I don’t remember what original chips look like. The car runs strong but I would like a little bit more. Many moons ago I tuned an 88-944 turbo chip, FPR, exhaust etc. and it was scary!! Wheel spin in 3rd and pulling vacuum at “above” highway speed limits.

·
Registered
1998 E300, 2006 R350
489 Posts
Not sure if you figured out what the specific issue is, but I'd be willing to bet it's the lower outer control arm bushing, (as someone else mentioned before, using a different term). I had the loud annoying creak as well and narrowed it down to this bushing. You'll need a specific tool to R&R.($100 on ebay) It took around an hour and a half per side. Also don't cheap out on these bushings. I went with Lemfoeder. Here's a link to the thread where I was able to sort it all out. Creak from left rear suspension.

·
Registered
1998 E300, 2006 R350
489 Posts
If in fact this bushing is your issue, which I believe is the case, you'll see that the failure is due to the bushings fluid filled rubber insert collapsing, causing metal to metal contact. No amount of lube or whatever it is you squirt in there will stop the creaking sound.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic 142,000 miles
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not sure if you figured out what the specific issue is, but I'd be willing to bet it's the lower outer control arm bushing, (as someone else mentioned before, using a different term). I had the loud annoying creak as well and narrowed it down to this bushing. You'll need a specific tool to R&R.($100 on ebay) It took around an hour and a half per side. Also don't cheap out on these bushings. I went with Lemfoeder. Here's a link to the thread where I was able to sort it all out. Creak from left rear suspension.
Binuya,
You are correct! Had my Indy help sort it out, narrowed to LCA outer bushing. Hes going to replace it for $100 (I have the new Lemfoerder bushing). Its more convenient for me to have him wrestle that bushing rather than spend the $100 on a bushing press and do it myself outside (no garage). It looks like you need a torch to get the old bushing out?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts