Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
2000 E430 4Matic 142,000 miles
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all
My 2000 E430 has an annoying squeek, passenger rear wheel well. I removed the tire, sprayed every bushing, fitting, moving part I could see with silicone. No difference at all. Any idea what I'm looking at here? Worn out bushings?

Registered
Greetings all
My 2000 E430 has an annoying squeek, passenger rear wheel well. I removed the tire, sprayed every bushing, fitting, moving part I could see with silicone. No difference at all. Any idea what I'm looking at here? Worn out bushings?
Possibly the top of your rear shock, at the tower, where it mounts?
320min mark

Registered
Let's hope it's not the LCA bushings.
Make sure you also check the LCA bushings in the knuckle. The bushings in there can fail (seal breaks over time and age) and starts leaking grease ----> metal-to-metal contact. -----> squeak gremlin.
Requires you to press them out and press new ones in.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Greetings all
Most likely rusty lower wheel carrier joint. #20

2020-05-15_174954.png

Registered
I鈥檇 start with the cheapest and easiest first that being the sway bar links. I had squeaks and thumping. The bushings looked fine with no cracks but when I removed them I could see the glazing and play on the inside. And the rubber was hard compared to the new bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I鈥檇 start with the cheapest and easiest first that being the sway bar links. I had squeaks and thumping. The bushings looked fine with no cracks but when I removed them I could see the glazing and play on the inside. And the rubber was hard compared to the new bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New link on order. good idea, thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Let's hope it's not the LCA bushings.
Make sure you also check the LCA bushings in the knuckle. The bushings in there can fail (seal breaks over time and age) and starts leaking grease ----> metal-to-metal contact. -----> squeak gremlin.
Requires you to press them out and press new ones in.
Looking for alternative but i think you are right. It is very loud inside the wheelwell when pushing down rear of car. Below and behind the rotor. Any idea what it costs to replace the outer bushing? A local chain repair shop said they could only replace the entire LCA, qouted $850 plus $90 alignment! wth!

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Looking for alternative but i think you are right. It is very loud inside the wheelwell when pushing down rear of car. Below and behind the rotor. Any idea what it costs to replace the outer bushing? A local chain repair shop said they could only replace the entire LCA, qouted $850 plus $90 alignment! wth!
Joint in question is pressed into wheel carrier. Nothing to do with lower control arm.

Registered
Loden,
The "...bushing in the knuckle".... post #4.
RE-read post #4.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Loden,
The "...bushing in the knuckle".... post #4.
RE-read post #4.
Yes, I think you are referring to this?

Registered
Yes, I think you are referring to this?
RE-read post #5.

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
Yeah, thats the one that goes into the knuckle.

Registered
1989 W124 260E
Purchase a spray can of silicon oil and spray every rubber bush you can see underb the rear end .Do this before you go out and speend meger bucks . I did its cured mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Purchase a spray can of silicon oil and spray every rubber bush you can see underb the rear end .Do this before you go out and speend meger bucks . I did its cured mine.
Already did that (see post #1), still squeeks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts