Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
B180 CDI, VW Touareg V6 TDI, Honda Blackbird
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY ANOTHER NOISE FIXED LOL

Ok it turns out to b the bump stops, after the last visit I started to gather prices from the dealer. Would have cost me near £300 had I replaced the parts haha.

Ok but after talking to the mechanic, I tried to spray some lubricant. It was hard to get to, I have no pics yet, but I will add some later, at this rate mayb a few months lol.

Ok, I put the front of the car on stands and removed both front wheels to gain easy access.

Now u can reach up inside the spring and rotate the bump stop, at first I thought it was screwed in cuz as I rotate it it came down, the bump stop is attached to the dust cover for the shocks. U can rotate it and pull it down at the same time. As I did this it made the same squeaky noise, so I sprayed epic amount of lube and grease on it, pushed the bumps top back up to the top mount. Did this to both sides and refitted the wheels.

Went for a test drive over speed bumps and YES the noise has gone

Ok I really need some pics for u guys to mayb understand a lil better

But thx for the help. Only cost me the price of some lube :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,158 Posts
I'm guessing that in time,..we're all going to do some 'spray lubing'.. up there near the top of the shock towers.

So any pics from you would be greatly appreciated,..

.....and Stewart...Thanks for explaining what had to be done to stop your squeak.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok i have the pics but gotta take my daughter to a party lol

ok here is a link for pics of the top mount

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w245-b-class/1651272-w245-top-mount-pics.html

once the car was on stands and the front wheels removed. you can see the top mount just above the spring, the single bolt lol, then the dust cover within the spring, and finally the shock/damper exposed slightly nder the dust cover.

WARNING - Your hands will get DIRTY doing this lol

this pic you mayb ableto just make out the bump stop on top of the dust cover.

this is the part i turned and gently pulled down, if u pull too hard it will detach from the bump stop, but dont worry cuz its easy to refit.

this is a pic of the bump stop pulled down, i just reach up with both hands and twisted the bumpstop and pulled it down from here, it may seem stuck at first but its just the rubber so tight to the damper.

More pic of the bumpstop.

Here r some pics ogf the topmount and how it is connected to the spring and shock/damper, the bumpstop just goes to the very top.

This is what I used, im no mechanic, just a novice you guys my use something better but it worked for me.

I sprayed some to the top of the bumpstop where it contact with the shock/damper.

And also under the dust cover at the bottom of the bumpstop.

I then was able to move the bumpstop up and down easily with no noise like before. I pushed the bumpstop back to the top touching the top mount.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Excellent photos, thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to add the photos, incase you do pull the dust cover away from the bumpstop, here are some pics of how to refit.

You can see the complete bumpstop here,the dust cover justs slots into the bottom of the bump stop, you may need to twist and push up at same time.

Well, thats another niose sorted lol

Hope this is helpfull.

Its now silent at the front, im finding myself concentrating on the rear now haha. I may just lube the back up when I have time.

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Thanks for the great pics and detailed explanation. We can't go wrong with that.

·
Registered
2008 b170
8 Posts
hello sir.

really need your advise.

i own 2008 b170.

1) ive been hearing a wind vacuum type noise everytime i turn the steering to the left while driving. just left. what is that actually?

2) i notice my car abit lowered. im not sure why. sometimes when go through bums the below part stretched. do you have any idea on changing after market suspension? or perhaps i have to change the spring coil?

email me at good4diy at gmail.com

thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
emyliajulia...Please start a new posting with this question.. Placing a question in many spots in many threads does not get a faster reply..Thanks....!!

·
Registered
2007 B180 cdi
26 Posts
Sorry becouse I write here at old thread,but can someone tell me if this part (shock bumper) can be replaced, coz is broken as you can see,or I must to by new shock absorber?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts