Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car for over a year. Sounds like a front brake squeeks, only when stopping from reverse. High pitch squeek, only in reverse!

Never in forward. 103000 miles, do not know if or when any brake work was done. Rear brake pads look fine.

While I am at it, is it fairly simple to change out those front pads myself?

Glenn

·
Registered
354 Posts
mine does the same - makes a terrible squealing noise when reversing sometimes. as the brakes are quiet and work fine going forwards i've decided to live with it.

changing the front brake pads is easy. aam made a good point that you should always open the bleed screw as you push the pistons back into the calipers to ensure that the old fluid in the calipers is replaced with slightly fresher stuff. if you're going to bleed the brakes after you fit new pads then that'll take care of the old fluid issue. if you don't know when the fluid was last replaced it might be a good idea to bleed the system anyway.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Many of these cars exibit the same trait. They have a brake squeek stopping in reverse. Making sure you have a good coating of brake grease on the back side of your pads will help some, but it will probably come back. Mine has had pad changes more than once front and rear. The squeek came back later. I don't think much about it as I don't do a lot of driving in reverse. :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welcome to the club. I took mine to the dealer and had him re coat the pads for me. it got better but it is still embarrassing. The problem is cheap aftermarket pads IMO. Mine is coming from the back. I've had the fronts replaced with OEM parts. Still squeaks....
RP

·
10,293 Posts
Comes with the name badge SL

It happens in oem pads, and even worse in exotic ceramic pads like mine... I sound like a train pulling over when i back out of my driveway in the morning...

Once the brakes are warm, it gets better... Also mb brake paste help reduce it, but does not eliminate it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts