Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i just found this forum and i dont know much about cars so be gentle yes? [:)] i just got my 98 slk a few months ago.

about a month back i noticed that it's got a creaking noise possibly from the rear suspension. is there anyway to check it out or are there other possible sources of the sound?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
does it happen sitting still? is the car on or off certain speeds? roof down up

give me some more info. when u break?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
i have a squeeking noise also when my leather seat is all the way back touching the vynl back of the car I space a little between the seat and the back and it goes away.

more info please

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
you could get them cleaned and oiled wouldnt cost that much and then you dont have to replace your suspension

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230
8 Posts
Hi,

Same problem here. It doesn't happen very often though. I was also thinking at the suspension firstly, but then I realised that when the roof is up, the noise seems to come from a higher level. Therefore, I thought at ... the hinges of the roof. It might be this, I don't know. It isn't very bothering but now, when we have this bitterly cold weather in Toronto, the sound can be heard more often. As you said, it's happening when the streets are not very good or over the bumps. But only sometimes.
Well, my car is 6 years old, and I do not expect the chassis to be as rigid as in the first day. I am curious to see what others have to say.

Konrad, Toronto

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
112 Posts
Some of the squeeks in my 99 SLK come from the drivers seat frame - left side. If I lift my left leg a bit (no jokes please) the squeeks go away. I first thought that these particular noises came from the suspension but discovered that it was the seat frame. When the weather warms up a bit I may pull the seat out and lubricate the frame joints. Current temperature in my garage just North of Washington, DC is 20 degrees F - too cold for my tastes to do car work.

·
Registered
SLK 230 yellow
200 Posts
Hey guys could it be the seat back touching the rear cabin ledge? I have had this happen on mine and solved with towels between the seat and the ledge. I now have had the ledge covered in carpet....no more squeaks![:I]

·
Registered
2004 SLK Special Ed
98 Posts
I'm with Fredrice, the noise comes from the seat and the back wall. I have actually moved the seat (powered) while driving to confirm this. Next I will get some silicon based product and apply to the ledge and the back seat. Specifically a leather conditioner.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Get 303 - i heard it's great on eliminating noises.

I also remember there was post from Jay - regarding his noise\solution - try searching for that one.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
592 Posts
The noise mentioned in the first post actually comes from the stationary part of the trunk latch on the body. I had this problem quite a while ago and for quite some time. It took me quite a while to figure it out, but after getting my roof adjusted, having the sound disappear and then reappear after 9 months or so got me thinking. I removed the rear trunk trim panel and sure enough, the bolts that hold the striker were loose. I thightened them up an viola!, no more squeak.

Give it a try and see if it helps. I offered this solution to another forum member here about 6 months ago and it seemed to work as well.

[ edit ]

... and yes, I would have absolutely sworn that it was a suspension squeak before I finally figured it out.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
592 Posts
Kirill - 1/28/2005 8:07 PM

Get 303 - i heard it's great on eliminating noises.

I also remember there was post from Jay - regarding his noise\solution - try searching for that one.
Haha, Kirill and I were posting at the same time. Jay's was the post I was refering to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone for the suggestions. i'll check them out and see if any fixes the problem.
i don't think it's the seat though cos i dont have the seat all the way back so i dont think it can rub against anything over the back. but i'll check n see anyway

kuhl carbon:
i'll check out that rear bolt... but can u give some instructions on where/how to get to the bolt? is it in the trunk under the cover? like i said i dont know much about cars [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
One of my springs was squeaking and had to be replaced...

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
592 Posts
phillrulerofheck - 1/28/2005 10:55 PM

kuhl carbon:
i'll check out that rear bolt... but can u give some instructions on where/how to get to the bolt? is it in the trunk under the cover? like i said i dont know much about cars [:)]
Its the striker ... the silver bit that is sticking up from the body when you open the trunk. Yes, the bolt is under the trim so the rear trim panel has to be removed to access it ... and it's bolt(s). There is a pair.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts