Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've recently got back into my van after a summer of very little use and got a few niggles sorted out and am quite happy with the way it's going for the first time in about a year, but i had forgotten how much of a pain in the ass the sqealing noise is when i accelerate.

When i'm trying to get to motorway speeds, it sounds like the multi v belt sqealing on the pulleys, i don't think that's it, but it sounds like it.

I can back off the throttle enough that the noise goes away but the van is still pulling at the same rate.

Coincidentally it started happening after i changed the alternator about a year ago, but that problem turned out to be a lazy starter, so i had a known good alternator lying spare, so i replaced it and the noise was still there so i can rule out the alternator.

I know a few of you may say the tensioner, but iirc the tensioner is pretty pricey.... so i'd rather know what the problem is before i go changing stuff in hope.

Is there any way of testing the pumps and pulleys to eliminate which one is making the noise???

Cheers all,

Gordon.

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,414 Posts
try spraying the belt with a tin of belt-dressing.

available from bike shops (esp harley) and engineers merchants.

if its the belt, but not due to it being loose or worn out, the dressing will cure it.

if so, its probably crap on the sides of a pulley or the edge of the belt - quite common if ones been replaced or moved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts