Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1976 U416
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been plauged by sqealing brakes on my U1000.Checked caliper function,degreased disk's,checked pad wear etc.Somtimes its the front drivers side,somtimes the rear,somtimes no noise at all.I have tried hard braking to burn off any "glaze" that might be on the pads.Any other solutions or area's that Imight have missed?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,413 Posts
My U1100 also squeals - mostly one front brake (I suspect only one caliper of one front brake). As you said, harder braking goes a long way toward mitigating it.

Some MB autos required a thin buffer material between the pistons and brake pads to reduce squeal - I wonder if that was called out for Mogs, too ?

·
Registered
1978 Case 406
173 Posts
Any of the Mog suppliers can get you the anti squeal shims,some have adhesive on one side, some do not. Scott at EI sells a softer pad to control squeal. They definately help with the problem, but mine still squeal, although alot less.
Bob
1979 Ex BW 1300L

·
Registered
1976 U416
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks!I'll try and find some anti squeal shims,it does get annoying if your braking often in tight traffic.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1989 Unimog U1400
108 Posts
Have same problem on U1400

Brakes were fine then put new pads on and now they squell bad. fronts were making so much noise could not tell the rears were worn down to metal. Was told that the harder brake compound does that and not much you can do. 1 dealer even said to spray linnings with WD40. I could not believe it. Hard to tell when brakes are down to metal now as they sound the same with new pads.

I just mostly use exhaust brake. Wish I had a stereo to turn up.

·
Registered
Unimogs
864 Posts
We deal with this a lot on our large tour trucks. Our normal solution is New rotors, the softer compound pads, carbon fiber anti-squeel shims, and new hardware (pins & Retaining clips.) We also work with our drivers to train them on proper unimog braking....ie this is a vehicle that you use solid agressive braking with.

The idea of WD40 or ANY lubricant on the brake pads is NOT something that we would reccomend, and not something I have heard of.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
573 Posts
Softer pads?

Scott,

I've not heard of a softer compound UNIMOG pad.

Are you using the car pads to accomplish this?

Either way, I'm betting John (Truktor) probably has photos of various pad compounds. :)

This subject comes up periodically amongst disc brake UNIMOG owners. There's not really much you can do about it.
Mog disc brakes squeak, always have and always will. That is, unless you do the caliper brace trick that Franz Murr did. I know Truktor has photos of that!

-Sean P.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,413 Posts
1 dealer even said to spray linnings with WD40. I could not believe it.
hehe :D On my Rover, I always counted on synthetic gear oil for that (or wheel bearing grease). Lubes those pads or shoes up rreeeeal well and no more squeal :thumbsup:

LR's and Mogs don't go fast enough to need brakes, anyway... ;)

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Ok, Sean, I'll take the bait...it's difficult, since I'm usually so reluctant to post photos, but what the hay ...

I read somewhere, probably on a UNIMOG board somewhere, that a dab, or
pillow of silicone sealant on the back of the pad, or head of the piston
is a trick to get rid of the squeal. Old mechanic's tale, maybe, but if all else fails, it is cheap to try.I could see where it might work, providing a little give,
but who knows. Free advice is often worth the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
MAYBE, way down the list...I have a long list of improvements before I'll
get to axle breathers. I understand that certain axles are more prone to the problem, and since the new truck has "Big Boy" axles, maybe the fix does not apply.I'd have to wade through Franz' site to check the axle numbers...

Let's see :ADD Intercooler, A/C fiddling, winch mounting/ rear ( more complex than first thought...), winch mounting/front, Paint new nose, replace cargo box, re-wire cargo box or other box, add EGT /boost gauges, New tires, make mounts for the rear shock reservoirs (although ZIP-TIES are "racy"),modify central tube to take the tow bar,sneak LED lights into uncouth places,install DAVE DUNN glass all around,R&R wheel chocks and mounts & powdercoat them, Get the 12V circuits working,chrome the whole undercarriage(including the driveshafts inside the torque tubes), LEARN TO WHEELIE THE THING, without breaking it, as seen in YARR's recently posted video...there are lots of things to do...probably all before I get to axle burpers...but I'll keep them on the list, just to round it out.

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
918 Posts
Scott,

I've not heard of a softer compound UNIMOG pad.

Are you using the car pads to accomplish this?

Either way, I'm betting John (Truktor) probably has photos of various pad compounds. :)

This subject comes up periodically amongst disc brake UNIMOG owners. There's not really much you can do about it.
Mog disc brakes squeak, always have and always will. That is, unless you do the caliper brace trick that Franz Murr did. I know Truktor has photos of that!

-Sean P.
Resurrection of an old thread alert.

My front brakes have been squeezing something fierce. I figured it was time to change the front pads and turn the rotors. Said tasks, done. The squeal however is just as bad, if not worse! WTF?!? A few notes, I used the same shims that came out, but I coated the piss out of them with anti squeal sticky stuff from napa. Not sure what to do here, the squeal is not a tolerable Unimog squeal, it's REALLY bad! So, should I try Scott's shims, or some other paste? Or does this trick from Murr work, cuz if it does I'll do it.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Seriously though, if you just did the work, I'd endure it for a week or so, to see if things wear
In. You could try bedding them - a series of hard-ish stops to get the pads and the rotors to
Start to love each other.
I had a Squeel for a little while on the Green one, did nothing, and it went away. I figured
That it might have been moisture related, as it was rainy, then it dried up, and then it
Stopped .
Frank Murr seemed to come up with solutions that worked. Based on that, I'd guess that the
Cross-tie might be a solution, but I don't really know.
Just by looking at the two big calipers on there, you'd think they were solid , and a relatively
Meager piece of strap would not have much affect, but if it works, it works.
A question : What is the electrical component / sensor that he has zip-tied to it ?

BEDDING LINK:

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
918 Posts
Yeah, it will definitely give it some hard driving before I do anything else. Like Chris posted on the other squealing brake thread, it is embarrassing in stop and go traffic, but it has been for some time now. I just hoped the new pads and turned disks would have solved it. Oh well.....

I wonder about those shims. Should I have used new ones? Do I really need them at all with enough sticky stuff? Someone mentioned new pad retainer pins and springs, really?

I pulled the wheel off to make sure I didn't miss a gap adjustment like the rears have, nope.

I'll throw some more mile on her first to seat things together, then, I might just look into Mr. Murr's mod there.

BTW John, the wire seems to be a pick-up for a bicycle speedo! Hmmm, shall we add that to our IOS package?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts