Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1988 420SL, 2007 420GL CDI 4MATIC, 2005 E350
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused::confused::confused:Hi all does anyone know why my front suspension is so noisy/squeaking loudly when am going through speed humps or any small bump on the road, even when I get out of the car and push the front right or left just by the wing above the wheel arch the squeaky noise is just as loud as it is sitting inside the car.:dunno:

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,135 Posts
Try using silicone spray lube on all the rubber bushings. Easier to see them all of you pop the wheels off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ian, i just finished spraying my front top arms bushes and the ball joint with silicon spray from Halfords, the squeak is still there and i have noticed its squeaking even when am getting into the car you can hear the front squeak. Also when my foot is slightly on the breaks you can hear the breaks squeak like grinding kind of noise when am just about to release the foot brake. What could be causing this my pads are all new been in the car for about a year but then i hardly use the car so they shouldn’t be worn out already. Ian the front suspension noise is so embarrassing it’s like the car is about to crumble when you hear it while driving even outside the car people can hear the noise

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Inspect the lower ball joint, if the boot is torn, spray some lube in there, result?

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,516 Posts
Hello Cliff,

As Rmac says, I think what you may find ultimately is a ball joint, steering rod end, or caster joint thats making the noise. When you get into the unladen car all of those joints move / flex a bit.. much more vigorously when the car is driven of course...

See if you can get a friend to push up & down on the front wing as you lie on the ground next to the wheel. You should be able to isolate it fairly quickly..

Caveat though... I don't believe it is possible to apply a lubricant from the OUTSIDE to make the noise go away. My guys on the Volvo shop tried that approach on occasion but we always had a comeback until we made a practice of replacing the noisy offender.

Good Luck & Cheers man,

MBL

·
Registered
1983 280se
40 Posts
Its probably the lower ball joint that is dry - this can be VERY dangerous - the ball joint can break from friction loading or pop out due to wear - do not grease a worn joint - replace them with MB parts.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,135 Posts
Yeah check your balljoints, they can be noisy without being dangerous, but check it out and see.

Shame you couldn't fix it with the silicone, mine was making all sorts of noises from the front suspension when I got it, eventually I sprayed all the rubber bushings and not a peep since! Gotta love easy fixes..

If your car sits around a lot it wont do it much good btw, they love to be driven on the open road.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fully understand now… I will go to garage and ask him to have a look at the ball joints and other bushes too, as I think I need someone with knowledge on what they’re doing or looking at.:dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts