Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got my car a few weeks ago so I am starting to fix its little problems but I cant figure out the squeak that comes from it, I bought lubricant for it and sprayed it all under it because it is mainly the front part that makes the sound I sprayed it on the control arms all of that stuff but it wont go away I will put a video so you guys could hear it.

I know that replacing all of that would fix the problem but thats gonna be very expensive and to be honest the bushings dont look bad at all I was really surprised, I live in Florida so we dont get snow or salt on the roads, even though it looks good the squeak is insane you can tell by the video.

Anyways in the video at first I move the steering side to side then turn and then at the end go up a little on my drive way thats when you can really hear it, I suppose its coming from the steering rack too since it also does it when I steer anyways if you guys could help me out maybe point me to a good product that would be great thanks!

Also I saw that my car has the strutmasters coil-overs could that be related?

Video:

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,655 Posts
Welcome martinwake, :)

1) Please add your motor vehicle info into the signature so we all know what you are driving.

2) Members may respond once they know what you are driving. Be patient.
Members volunteer their time to assist other members.

also, try this site and others like it - https://mycarmakesnoise.com/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome martinwake, :)

1) Please add your motor vehicle info into the signature so we all know what you are driving.

2) Members may respond once they know what you are driving. Be patient.
Members volunteer their time to assist other members.

also, try this site and others like it - https://mycarmakesnoise.com/
Sorry yeah totally forgot its a 2002 CL500

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,655 Posts
This noise reproduces itself.....
Squeaks ONLY while driving on smooth road?
What about speed bumps?
What about pushing the front suspension either side up and down?

My first thought is upper or lower ball joint. boot cover tear?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This noise reproduces itself.....
Squeaks ONLY while driving on smooth road?
What about speed bumps?
What about pushing the front suspension either side up and down?

My first thought is upper or lower ball joint. boot cover tear?
squeaks when the suspension moves so on smooth road not much at all, speed bumps it goes crazy and yes if I push it up and down from the front it kinda sounds like it comes from the middle of the front of the car

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
squeaks when the suspension moves so on smooth road not much at all, speed bumps it goes crazy and yes if I push it up and down from the front it kinda sounds like it comes from the middle of the front of the car
example....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You will need to visually check your ball joint boots to see if there is any rips/tears in them.
You said you sprayed lubricant (which brand?) - where?
You need to also check all the bushings including those on the sway-bars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Pop the hood up, rock the suspension up and down, and listen more closely to get a better proximity of the creaking.
With the hood down, hard to pinpoint.
If this doesnt help, your going to need to get under the front end with some proper non-chlorinated lubricant or similar, and go thru a check list of each component to spray and lubricate, then test again by rocking. It sure sounds like suspension related: upper or lower arms rubbing, sway-bar end-links & bushing, spring perches (check if the spring pads have been removed - springs....metal on metal)....

EDIT:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pop the hood up, rock the suspension up and down, and listen more closely to get a better proximity of the creaking.
With the hood down, hard to pinpoint.
If this doesnt help, your going to need to get under the front end with some proper non-chlorinated lubricant or similar, and go thru a check list of each component to spray and lubricate, then test again by rocking. It sure sounds like suspension related: upper or lower arms rubbing, sway-bar end-links & bushing, spring perches (check if the spring pads have been removed - springs....metal on metal)....

EDIT:
These are the ones I used and yes I got under the car with both of them and sprayed everywhere when it rains here the sound does go away meaning its something down there but I dont know what I recorded another video too

Attachments

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Watching your video, I see you turning your steering wheel left and right on a level road way.
It creaks only when the steering wheel is rotated left and right?
Check the LCA at the bushings where it mounts to the frame. Use a pry bar and check if there is any play there.
If so, they need to be replaced. Not sure if any lubricant in there is going to amount to any permanent creaking fix.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Watching your video, I see you turning your steering wheel left and right on a level road way.
Check the LCA at the bushings where it mounts to the frame. Use a pry bar and check if there is any play there.
If so, they need to be replaced. Not sure if any lubricant in there is going to amount to any permanent creaking fix.
It does squeak when turning the wheel but it might be because the suspension goes up and down a bit when moving the steering wheel and that road looks leveled but it did go up and down a bit I think the squeak for the steering might actually be because of all the different lubricants I put and now it might just be sticky down there I will check what you said though, but when I was down there nothing seemed out of order the only thing I could remember is the rubber stuff for the coilovers is a bit messed up will try to get some pics but its raining pretty hard here now..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recorded another video

1 - 15 of 15 Posts