Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005SLK200k makes a lot of noise (bumps, squeaks) when driving over Bangkok's rough roads, Our 2004S280 makes no noise over the same roads. I drive the SLK, wife drives the S, usually.

Is it just the car's differences or is there something that I can do to minimize the SLK noise? We have a 2006SL55AMG in the States that does not make shuddering noises.

Are the SLK noises something that I have to live with...or, can something can be done about it? OK, I know that the difference between a long based S and a SLK is, well, worlds apart.....but do SLKs usually make a lot of noise?

Anyway, I love the SLK! Thai chic girls look at it...but not when I am driving the S.

Ohh! Good reason for letting the wife drive the S...and me behind the SLK.

OK, forget my question!

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
You have a SL 55 AMG but drive a slk.
Thats funny.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Convertible chassis are not always as rigid as those on saloons (such as the S class). The SLK also has less sound deadening material then the S and SL's.

But a little grease and felt pads go a long way to reduce these noises according to a lot of the members. Make sure you check your car throughly because the noise may be coming from the weirdest and smallest of places.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yacht Master said:
You have a SL 55 AMG but drive a slk.
Thats funny.
Yes, my SL 55 AMG is 12 time zones away in the USA. We live in Bangkok most of the time where we have a SLK and a S.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shinigami said:
Convertible chassis are not always as rigid as those on saloons (such as the S class). The SLK also has less sound deadening material then the S and SL's.

But a little grease and felt pads go a long way to reduce these noises according to a lot of the members. Make sure you check your car throughly because the noise may be coming from the weirdest and smallest of places.
Actually, I am reluctant to fiddle with the moving parts in the roof....I might make it worse. I really don't mind the noise but my wife always comments on how her S sounds sweeter. I guess it is a guy/girl thing.

But, damn, I really like driving her S sometimes. It is so soft.

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
You'll have to get used to it. An SLK squeaks, groans and rattles a lot, especially with the roof up.
I take a lot of medications to calm myself before I go for a drive and I'm OK. :D

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
I understand that the dealership will grease it whenever you bring it in for a roof noise complaint.

Does anyone know if any of those "off the shelf" grease that we can get from locally would work well on the seals?

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
I had some minor squeaks when going up and down drive ways or speed bumps with the roof up. A quick visit to MB service for lubricating the seals under warranty solved it in 30 minutes.

MB has a lube for the seals Part No. 001 989 50 51

I've heard it's expensive.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
etyu said:
MB has a lube for the seals Part No. 001 989 50 51.
I've heard it's expensive.
Check out this link (Reply #14). I think this forum member is talking about the same lube:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171-slk-class/1317602-roof-rattle-fix-2.html

I'm usually a pretty fussy guy when it comes to wind noise, rattles, etc., but from my standpoint, I don't mind a few rattles, etc. with the SLK. I think it comes with the territory when you own a convertible and is part of its charm. I'm not looking for the quietness that's found in your typical Lexus or MB sedan. If I wanted "0" sound, I would have opted for the sedan or coupe.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
NewMB said:
I'm usually a pretty fussy guy when it comes to wind noise, rattles, etc., but from my standpoint, I don't mind a few rattles, etc. with the SLK. I think it comes with the territory when you own a convertible and is part of its charm. I'm not looking for the quietness that's found in your typical Lexus or MB sedan. If I wanted "0" sound, I would have opted for the sedan or coupe.

I convinced me! Knowing that I can also look at it at your standpoint, it makes me feel so much better about those noises.

:)

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
It's probably worth mentioning that these noises only happen when the roof is *up*. :) When the roof is down it is quiet as can be... except for the wonderful rush of wind.

I too get the occasional noise from the roof seals. I notice it a great deal more when the car's been sitting out in the sun all day. If it's not too warm, I console myself by dropping the top to stop the sound. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts