Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S430 AMG
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I cannot locate the squeak noise coming from front drivers wheel. It is very slight right now going over uneven pavement where the car leans left to right. Also you can hear it if you push hard on the drivers side corner of the car. I lubricated all the bushings still no change. Tried few things this morning. I removed sway bar links and drove around the block squeak still there to rule out the sway bar bushings. I re-lubed up front bushings and rubber ball ends this time soaking everything. No such success. The squeak is still there not as loud after the lube. Anyway to rule out control arms without disassembling everything. I have a feeling it’s either upper or lower arms.

Any ides and suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
At just under 100,000 miles, I had a groaning front suspension and replaced thrust and control arms on both sides. During the DIY, I noted that the sway bar bushings appeared overly cracked. After test drive, turns out that the groaning had overshadowed the squeaking of the sway bar. I had gotten away with not replacing sway bar bushings and links on the S430, but the S550 would not let me skimp.

Subsequently replaced the sway bar and both links a few months ago and all is right with the S550. If I had done it all at once it would have been muuuch easier!

Recommendations:
- Stick with OEM / Lemforder parts. They have yet to let me down. If you take it to an Indy, don't let them use cheap knockoffs.
- Depending on your driving conditions, the upper wishbone and the steering arms are probably good and not in need of replacement.
- Although the car has very tight mounts to the body which minimize the need /ability for alignment - get one anyway, particularly when the steering arms are replaced.
- If you don't have a STAR or like machine to bleed the air struts, don't open a top nut. Consider using a jack with a wooden softener to align the bolt up of the strut to the thrust arm.

Notes:
- Unlike previous models, the W221 sway bar has integral bushings fused to the metal. The whole bar needs to be replaced. Amazon MB part is around $200 delivered.
- The sway bar links are not mirror images and like the control arms have a specific port and starboard orientation. Consider placing a tape marking on the links when removing from them shipping bag.
- Ensure that you have the right torque values for your specific car.
- Final torque should only be done with the car in a driveable condition. Let the wheels hang down off of a lift when torquing results in the rubber bushings being elongated and shortens the life of the suspension. Care to guess if the Indy has a pit and willing to use it for final torque? My technique after bolt-up is to put the wheels back on and immediately drive the car up on ramps - crawl under and do final torque.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts